Pork Shoulder "Picnic Half"?

I've cooked one. Its pretty much the same as doing a boston butt. Its just the lower half of a whole shoulder. They generally have some of the skin still attached around the arm so if that weirds you out just pull it off.

I like picnics but prefer Boston Butt. I believe that the BB is more juicy and I further believe that you get more yield per lb.

YMMV

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Is this the same as a ham shoulder?

Not that I am aware of... Isn't Ham from the Back?

I am cooking one now on my Mini... I had the butcher cut the shank off and removed the skin/fat cap, on a 8 pound shoulder, I had 24 oz of skin/fat. That is really the only trade off. I find the picnic to be leaner.

pigchart.png

I'v done them before and they're pretty good. Usually cheaper than boston's in my neck of the woods. You end up getting the lower bone, and usually comes with skin which sometimes is a pain to get rid of, but still cooks up nicely!

10500341_10152537554750941_7559710180310565536_n.jpg

Disregard the lack of bark. Was cooking for a certain crowd aka older folks that don't like to see the dark burnt stuff.

Disregard the lack of bark. Was cooking for a certain crowd aka older folks that don't like to see the dark burnt stuff.

What is the deal with that. We have a local BBQ joint that has the rep as being the best and none of the meat has any color whatsoever. The brisket looks like it was just steamed. It's horrific but it caters to a very old crowd that I guess can chew the meat with their gums or something. The place is terrible by my standards, but I hate being the snob to point it out.

Another joint around here cooks with the fat cap on and then carves all of it off including the crust before serving. I could cry.

Weirdly I think a good real Texas style bbq joint would go broke in this town and I'm in Texas!!!

Picnics are leaner and IMO are better for slicing/chopped than pulling. Leave the rind and brush it with water, beer or what-have you and it will become crispy like cracklin, or score it and let it look more like a holiday ham.
I do mine 275-300 and they always come out moist & succulent .:wsm:

Tim

What is the deal with that. We have a local BBQ joint that has the rep as being the best and none of the meat has any color whatsoever. The brisket looks like it was just steamed. It's horrific but it caters to a very old crowd that I guess can chew the meat with their gums or something. The place is terrible by my standards, but I hate being the snob to point it out.

Another joint around here cooks with the fat cap on and then carves all of it off including the crust before serving. I could cry.

Weirdly I think a good real Texas style bbq joint would go broke in this town and I'm in Texas!!!

hahaha I know what you mean. I think alot of it is just eye appeal or a misunderstanding between a good crust and "charred food". I've cooked for them before and I guess I made the mistake of showing everyone these beautiful butts pre pulled. They all gasps as they looked at what they called "two giant black meteorites."

Oh well. I don't like it when people force me to like things they like, so ya just gotta truck on, smile, and wrap the butts extremely early. :p

Back