Pork Loin Help

E Mann

TVWBB Fan
I was volunteered to smoke a pork loin for Christmas and I wanted to get some ideas from the masters in this forum. This will be a full loin (NOT a tenderloin) as we'll be hosting about 40-people (yes, I've already started drinking to prepare for hosting that many people). The last and first time I brined some chops, they were way too salty so I'm a little concerned about doing a brine again. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks for your help!!

You can stuff it or just put a good rub on it and smoke it. I never found a need to brine the loin. Just raise the temps to about 300.

Eric, you might try MOLASSES BRINED AND GRILLED PORK CHOPS. It has gotten good feedback and I've used it in the smoker as well as on the grill. The brine will work on any type or shape of pork.

Rita

Huh. I don't know why the URL didn't take. Thanks for catching that, Bob. Some days nothing works right but it can't possibly be my fault. And it's a bit too early for some Christmas cheer. :confused:

Rita

Huh. I don't know why the URL didn't take. Thanks for catching that, Bob. Some days nothing works right but it can't possibly be my fault. And it's a bit too early for some Christmas cheer. :confused:

Rita
It's never too early for some Christmas cheer Rita :)
Merry Christmas!

Thanks Rita, I appreciate this recipe. Would you recommend grilling or smoking the entire loin. How long for each? Thx.

Eric, you could cook the pork loin roast either way, gas/charcoal/smoker. Your timing will probably be different between a bone-in roast and a boneless roast. I'd suggest brining full loin roasts for 10 hours or overnight. For a slightly rosy center, I usually cook indirect, starting at about 325 degrees on a grill or in the WSM to an internal temperature of 125°F, take it off the heat for about 10 to 15 minutes (this allows the meat to cool a bit on the outside so you will be less likely to overcook the inner part of the roast while you're searing the meat. This method allows a beef roast to have a much wider rare spot, almost to within 1/4 to 1/2 inch short of the outside sear). In this case you would be preserving the slightly pink in the center of the pork roast. Pork loin should never be cooked well-done, in my opinion, because it has very little interior fat or marbling. For guests who insist theirs be well-done, slice their portions from the ends of the roasts. Please slice mine from the middle.

Meanwhile, crank up the heat to high, and then sear it quickly on the outside (well, of COURSE it would be on the outside!) until the internal temperature reaches 140°; we prefer 135°. Then cover loosely with foil and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing. The internal temperature will rise to about 150° after resting. You can sear it right over the hot coals in the smoker if you remove the lid and center section and put one of the grates on the charcoal ring. Keep your eye on the meat; searing goes quickly.

When I gas-grill-roast a pork loin, my settings are High on the primary burner and the other two off, with the meat over the "off" side, rotating it halfway through cooking. I usually have to lower the heat on the primary burner to medium to maintain temperatures in the neighborhood of 325°. You could add smoke (using a gas grill, the smoke flavor will be quite light in the finished meat) with a wood chip packet or two during the first half-hour.

If you want some drippings (there won't be much), put the meat on a rack over a small pan for the first stage of the cook. I add add about a cup or two of water to the pan so that it evaporates just before the meat is ready to sear. Hopefully they will brown a bit for a good fond. If you use chicken broth instead of water (very nice) it should be homemade salt-free broth, since the evaporation will intensify the salt in the broth.

A quick broth made with chicken bones you've saved in the freezer, water, onion, 1 clove garlic, a few green onions, a bay leaf, and a few peppercorns, and if you're in the mood, 1/2 carrot & 1/2 rib celery - very gently simmered, uncovered, for 3 or 4 hours (or 1 hour on high pressure in a pressure cooker using a quick or natural release). Chicken wings make a good broth with a little body to it. Almost any cookbook will have a recipe for chicken stock if you need one.

I love the seeded rub and use it on a lot of my pork dishes. Also, if you decide to go with this recipe, you might consider the Glaze and/or the Jus to serve on the side, both of which you can make ahead of time. Then you won't have to deal with gravy, or lack thereof.

Be sure to read Ray Benash's tips and presentation in this thread. They're very good. I so envy him and his sous vide machine!

Consider apple juice somewhere in the mix. Apples and pork are a great combination, such as sauteed apples & onions.

You probably already know most, if not all, of this, but honestly, once I get started I can't quit.

Rita

Last edited:
Probably safer to brine a whole loin cuz its so thick. I cook pork loins to about 135-140°IT and let rest. Or pull earlier and give a sear like someone else pointed out.

Back