Pork Butt without water pan??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Schwartz

TVWBB Fan
Chris Allingham has indicated that smoking without the water pan is something that can be done.

Quote from Chris: "I've cooked pork butt with an empty, foil-lined water pan using the Minion Method and maintained 225-250*F. You can do the same without the pan. You just need to agressively manage the vents, managing temp on the way up instead of letting it get so high that you have a hard time bringing it down."

With that in mind, I'd like to try this with a 7lb pork butt. Any thoughts about initially starting without the water pan to pick up some of the charcoal taste and then maybe halfway through the smoke, adding the water pan to continue with low and slow?

I've never tried it, but it seems more logical to try it in reverse. Do the cook mostly over the filled water pan....you get consistent temps...and worry free cooking. Then, nearing the end of your cook let the pan "dry out" and remove it.

My butt is fine with the pan in the whole time, but I'd like to hear what your results are.

AR

I cann't see any reason it wouldn't work without the water pan. I think you'd have a pretty good mess in the bottom of your charcoal bowl with all the drippings and ash after it's done.

Dave,

I have run the WSM without a water pan and have produced great pulled pork. You need to keep the bottom vents nearly 100% closed, so the temp does not go much over 250. And watch your temperature more closely. The meat tasted the same and had nice bark compared to using a pan with sand in it. Thats why the people who compete typically don't remove the water pan. Same texture, moisture and flavor. BTW, if your meat ever seems dry, you can always add a little apple juice and or bbq sauce to what you have pulled. Rarely is this required, but if so, no big deal.

Personally, I like to keep things as simple as possible. Thats why I don't use foil; its just an extra step. Same deal with moping. I've tried spraying with apple juice, but it also seemed unnecessary, since my pork is moist. Keeping it simple is another reason I use the minion method and do long smokes overnight, unless I'm grilling. I prefer to sleep rather than play around with hot charcoal. In fact, I don't even line the water pan with foil. I do however cover it (above the sand, since I consider water in the pan to be more work) with two sheets of foil, so I can remove one after the cooker had cooled down, for easy cleanup.

I have used a stick burner extensively in the past and it required alot of tending. Thats why I got rid of it. Occasionally messing around with the fire is OK, but typically, I'm interested in eating great BBQ, not tending a fire. Others may have another viewpoint, and thats cool, I'm content with my approach because it works. If fact, it works great.
No brag, just fact.
icon_wink.gif
+

Regards,

Glenn

Hi Glenn,
From what your saying, I guess you did not pick up any of the charcoal taste. My reason for wanting to try this method was to incorporate the charcoal taste along with the traditional smoked flavor. Thanks for your feedback.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back