Pork Butt Storage for the Deer Shack

George Roth

TVWBB Member
I am in the process of smoking two pork butts for use at deer camp which starts here in Wisconsin next Saturday. They will be done in the a.m.

Here is my question:

#1 Double foil the butts and store them in the frig without "pulling" the meat?

#2 Pull the meat and then store it in some Zip-Lock bags?

#3 Do one of the above and freeze it until next weekend?

In the past I have always foiled and then pulled my pork after a very long rest.

Suggestions.

Thanks,

George

I would pull the meat and store in some zip loc bags, then freeze them. When you are ready to eat, just open the bags up a bit and drop in some boiling water til thawed and warmed. The meat will be almost as good as when you first cooked it.

When you fill the bags with meat, fill the sink with water and push the bags down into the water with just a corner open (out of the water). This will push all the air out and is similar to vacuum packing.

I have used this method with cut up slabs of baby backs and it works great. They tasted very fresh

Ditto...pull and freeze. You can also reheat by cooking in a pan or slow cooker with a little apple juice. Definitely pull after cooking/resting. It is much easier to do fresh.

another vote for the pull and freeze. it's easier to reheat a finished product.

I, also, suggest bagging it pulled (we use a Vacuum Sealer but also had good results with zip lock bags) then freezing it. It heats up so easily that it is near perfect for your needs. Frankly, I do this with pulled pork, Ribs, and Pepper Stout Beef. I ALWAYS smoke more than I need at home then freeze individual baggies for later use. The quality is almost indistinguishable from fresh off the smoker.

You can now buy individual apple juice containers (boxes) that require no refrigeration. Take the amount needed to use to re-heat the pork. This works wonderfully well...

FWIW
Dale53:wsm:

Thanks all!!!

What I normally do is to "pull" and then use Zip Lock bags and carefully press out as much air as I can and then freeze. I posted to see if someone had a better idea or procedure with the whole butt.

g.

I have froze whole butts a few times wrapped in foil and reheated in oven. I have not cooked them all the way so they finish in the oven. This takes alot more time than what is mentioned above but works really well.

Hey great minds think alike !!
I just did 18 lbs of butts for pulled pork for hunting here in WI also. I smoked 'em, wrapped in foil and let them rest for a few hours. I then proceeded to shred them and filled a few food saver bags and sealed 'em and straight into the freezer. Up at deer camp I usually put them into a couple of foil pans and heat at a low temp in the oven till hot. Usually add a little apple juice and apple cider vinegar to the pans when reheating. Every year it is requested to bring 'em back next year for deer camp. To add a nice touch I am making a homemade BBQ sauce to bring up as well.

Good luck with the hunt, and here's hoping ol mossy horns wanders into your rifle sights !!!

Back