pork butt going fine so far

kizer

Started a 8-9lb butt last night. Put on the top rack @ 9:30pm. Went to bed last night @ 1:am with the lid temp of 300 using a thermo. from my weber gas grill stuck in one of the holes of the top vent. I also have a cheap oven thermo. hanging from the top rack. This morning @ 7:am the lid thermo read 250 oven thermo 210. Meat was @ 160. I opened the door an inch to get temps up a little. I live @ 7000ft and i'm not trusting either thermo. When should I check the butt every hour every 2 hours? Is 300 to high of a lid temp to be using? After the butt hits 190 how long can I have it in the cooler for folks are coming over @ 7pm?

Everything sounds good so far. 300 is not to high, it will just get done quicker. With a 7:00pm dinner I would try and slow it down a little. I have held butts double-wrapped in foil in a towel in a cooler for 5 - 6 hours and still the meat temps was above 150. I have never been over 6 hours but as long as the meat temp doesn't drop below 140 it is fine.

Randy

Also, if the temp does fall too far, you can just shred it and then reheat in a foil pan later, with a little spray of apple juice. This works fine.

Bob

Well I have it hanging @ about 250 lid temp right now. I was thinking of taking my next meat temp @ noon. The force feels like its going to turn out good. I was going to throw 2 slabs of spares on @ 1pm should throw some more coals on then?

Take a look at how much fuel you have left in the charcoal bowl. If you are getting low on charcoal, then you might want to add some more.

Yep the fuel had pretty much turned to ashes i threw some more charcoal in there and started a new chimney of coals as well, a coffee can amount just in case. Just with the new coals its keeping at about 250 lid temp.

make sure you let it rest for a bit before pulling (obviously, I know!)

if you need to hold it for a while, wrap it in foil and a kitchen towel - should hold safely for a couple hours. If its going to be longer than that...just throw it in the oven, grill, whatever to heat it up a bit.

other than that....pull it and enjoy!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back