Pork butt cook

Chris W.

TVWBB Pro
I did a pork butt cook last Thursday, using Mr. Brown. We had the neighbors over for dinner. The butt came out very tasty and tender. For pictures and a full write-up, visit my website.

Great job, Chris! It looks awesome. Thanks for posting.

A few questions:

1. Do you find that the kitchen twine really helps?

2. I'm not sure what you meant by:
"I filled the water pan with one gallon of warm water, then foiled the top of the pan."
Are you saying that you put tin foil over the top of the water pan, covering the water? Why did you do that? How does the steam escape?

3. Given your reported cooking time (about 9 hours for a 5 lb. butt), I'm guessing you went low and slow. 225?

Thanks!

Eric - I did put foil over the top of the pan after I added the water. I'm not sure how the steam escapes, but I do it because it makes clean-up way easier. Instead of ending up with all the dripping fat mixed in with the water, it collects on the top of the foil, and all I have to do is crumple the foil up and pitch it in the trash can.

And yes, I went low and slow. My temperature generally fluctuated somewhere between 225 and 250 all day, which is right where I like it.

As for the kitchen twine, I don't know if it really helps or not, it's just one of those things I've always done when cooking a butt. It doesn't hurt, so I've never stopped doing it.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Back