Pork Butt Burnt Ends?

JRAiona

TVWBB Gold Member
Has anyone ever heard of or made pork butt burnt ends? If so how did you go about it? Would I be able to use a boneless pork butt? I'd be interested in your input as I'd like to try this. Thanks.

Have never tried pork burnt ends. Since most 'burnt end' are cooked to the point of being at maximum tenderness, I would imagine the pork burnt ends to be mushy in texture. Most certainly not the ideal.

I thought I remembered a post a while back on pork burnt ends. Did a quick search and didn't see it. Here is a recipe I found earlier, but haven't tried yet. You would be able to use your pork butt with this recipe.

I think you could easily do it. Just cook the butt like you would only do a point for burnt ends. Rub the whole thing and throw it on the smoker. When it firms up and its cooked 160-170, I would pull it off, cut into pieces, and more rub and any juice that you want, then throw them back on. At that point you just wait for them to start to get tender.

Interesting thought and I think this may be on the list to do soon. (Right behind bacon)

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the input. This is definitely something on the list to try. Kevin, if you haven't tried bacon yet you need to read Bob's post. It's a sticky in the charcuterie forum and his process is a winner. In fact I have a batch curing now.

I do pork button burnt ends all the time and they are one of the greatest pleasures in life. To me they are as good as brisket burnt ends and let's face it, with the price of brisket vs. A pork butt it's more economical. I found a recipe by a gentleman by the name of Third Eye on the Big Green Egg forums that is delicious. Rub your butt down and smoke to a temp of 165. Cube it up into 2 inch pieces, place in a pan with more rub and sauce of choice and smoke till tender. I like to serve mine with a North Carolina style vinegar sauce. Delicious!

Back