Plethora of Rubs on Wings

MattP

TVWBB Super Fan
The wife is out with her girlfriends tonight, figured it was a good night to grill up some wings.

I used three different rubs on the wings-- Weber Kickin' Chicken, Plow Boyd Yardbird, and a house rub I purchased last week from Porter Road Butcher in Nashville.
10846593793_d8295e3fb3_o.jpg

Grilling in the dark looks awesome with charcoal...
10846263015_53a4978863_o.jpg

10846594323_9a1a41478a_o.jpg

A little too dark to get decent shots of the cook in progress, so here are the wings once they came off, prior to tossing in BBQ sauce.
10846595143_05b31ff796_o.jpg

And tossed...
10846264165_e8fe78ee72_o.jpg

Ready to be enjoyed, drinking a Sierra Nevada Celebration, sauce is Pit Happens...
10846326506_c758d80af9_o.jpg

Matt,
Wings look excellent. Buffalo Wild Wings ain't got nothing on you! Now, Hooters on the other hand ...

Tasty looking wings Matt!
Could you tell much of a difference in the rubs?

Very much.

The rub from the place in Nashville had a more distinct sweet-heat taste to it. The wings with that on it are the ones that have a little more black on it. It seems to me there's a fair amount of brown sugar in the rub, so it would make sense that these got a little more burnt while doing my direct-heat finish.

Weber Kickin' Chicken had heat to it, but not the sweet of the rub from Nashville The Yardbird-- I guess I can't quite describe how it tasted, but it was clear which one it was, when compared to the other two.

Matt your wings look great..loved your coal shots, perfect beer choice (one of my favorite seasonal beers)...doesn't get much better..might have to send my bride out for a girls nite soon!!

Love it!!

Thanks, all!

Ever since I started grilling wings, I have not once even thought of getting stuff from takeout.

Back