Pit Masters 2 tonight

Looks like the BBQ version of "Chopped" I'm recording it and if I have to I'll FF to the commercials. But it looks to me like it's "Jumped the Shark" already.

Remember the following is just my opinion:

Man did they ruin this program. At first I thought it was going to be good, contestants talking about their cookers, rubs, injections and then the wheels fell off. Even the format is screwy, sounds like it's 4 different teams each week leading up to a finale, doesn't really give you a chance to make a connection with any one team or learn anything from one single cook throughout the year (I could be wrong on the format though).

I'll watch the Episode w/Brent on it as he's a local guy but won't TiVo it this year. Sucks as I was really looking forward to season two.

Remember, my .02

I didn't realize it was on tonight.

Apparently I didn't miss much.
icon_frown.gif

Sorry to say the pitmaster show sucked, did not show any cooking all they did is just talk, i think the show is about miron , sapp and the other idiot that was there, the twist with the catfish and slaw come on man, i want to see bbq technics not a talk show host waste of my time will not see it again sorry

Maybe its just me but I enjoied it . Dont expect much with only a hour formatt in the first place . Steven Richlean((SP) came the closest to what you are talking about , and he tended to cover most of the known BBQ and grilling world.
At least is has something to do with BBQ beats whats usually on, in my opinion. Its only the first show . As far as Myron heck he is the only one of the judges that has a clue about BBQ, somebody has to guide them !! LOL

I was very disappointed in the new Pit Masters format. As the other posts mentioned, it has turned into more of a reality competiton rather than an actual barbecue comp. One of the most redeeming points of the previous Pit Masters season was the week by week competitions. In this format, you don't get to know the competitors or see their expertise. This is not "Chopped" or some other reality TV show crap. We want to see real BBQ competitors competes. I would rather watch Police Women of Memphis than this reality garbage they are passing off as a true Pitmaster's Show.

I afraid this show will give the wrong impression to the general populace about Real BBQ. It's bad enough that they can't differentiate between Grilling and Qing as it is. But it's all about ratings and advertisement dollars. One high point was the showing of the "Stoker" unit on the "Grill on Grill" smoker.

I kept waiting for the secret ingredient of eel heads to be thrown into the mix...

Sad. As a novice, I felt like I learned from the last season. Not much education this year.

I voted if there was nothing else on I might watch it ! having said that IMO it was so bad I would watch the Detroit Lions befor this show
icon_eek.gif

Watched the first episode and it can be summed up in a single word.

"Meh"

Bring back the old format, I learned a lot more about BBQ from that season. Hopefully the network suits read these boards.

Moe has it going on I will have to say that, but these are not the only cooking teams in this show. I plan to watch the whole thing but thats just me. Ya cant judge a show off the first run episode.

I was prepared to dismiss the show out of hand, but I wound up enjoying the show quite a bit. Of course, it's not a show "about barbecue" in the same way that Chopped or Iron Chef aren't shows about cooking, but that's fine by me.

Just checked out the BBQ Pitmasters FAN PAGE ON FACEBOOK, there are some interesting comments to say the least. If that page represents their fans I'd hate to read what the non-fans have to say.

Congratulations to Moe!

As to the new format and its hackneyed gimmicks and manufactured drama, this season is going to stink out loud. One and done for me.

Ken

Well mixed opinions but the show does need help, i believe to really find a pittmaster every competitor should be given the same exact ingredients, throw all the gadgets like the stoker away, lets see what the cook can really do with the elements mother nature throws at u, lets say just salt and pepper are to be used, one of the cooks is going to nail it and win, not all are going to taste the same, anyway to all u fine smokers out keep doing what ur doing

I knew there were BBQ competitions, but until the first season of BBQ Pitmasters, I didn't realize how organized they were. I didn't know there were national sanctioning bodies and certified BBQ judges. Even though I've been reading this forum for years, I never ventured into the Competition forum. I didn't even BBQ, so how can I compete? So never looked in there. But thanks to the first season of BBQ Pitmasters, I am now a Kansas City BBQ Society (KCBS) KCBS member and certified BBQ judge (CBJ).

Had the new format been the only format, I wouldn't have learned what I did and did what I did. I probably wouldn't have even tuned in another Next Food Network Star/Top Chef/Iron Chef/whatever contrived cooking competition.

But I do understand that if the show is to survive, they're going to have to reach a wider audience than the existing BBQ enthusiasts .

Back