Pieces O' Ribs...... Need advice

Matt Sanders

TVWBB Pro
I have a good friend whose family gets together to slaughter a hog together; blades and beer, I think is the theme.....

Anyway, he doesn't smoke, so we decided he would bring the frozen ribs over, I'd thaw, prep and cook them this weekend on my 18 WSM. So far so good.....

So now that I have physical possession of the ribs, I learn they are not whole slabs, but are in many smaller sections of varying shape, size, and thickness. There are some that look St. Louis style, some are back ribs. Some are quite short. Some are extra meaty. Most are in sections of 3-4 ribs. There appears to be decent meat on them though. So here's my concern (other than picking the membrane off of 15-20 different sections.....) These are all going to cook at different rates, being of different mass. I cook low and slow- 225ish- and know that's forgiving. Will it be forgiving enough? Will I have trouble fitting around 7-10# of smallish rib sections on the cooker?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">225ish- and know that's forgiving. Will it be forgiving enough? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Low temps are only forgiving in the fact that your done window will be broad. I would not fret over low temps per se, cook at 250-275. All Q is done by tender in that the thicker the cut the longer it will take, so put the thickest on sooner and so on......

Use rib racks to maximize since rolling them is out of the question and careful not to get them to far to the edge as that is where the hotter air flow is.

That makes sense. Thanks Glenn.

I prefer 225-250 anyway, so I'll take advantage of that large done window, probably just give the bigger pieces a little head start, and pull them all off at once.

Glenn hits the nail...Sort em in two camps...Big small...Put the small ones ontop and the big ones..*Guess*
icon_wink.gif
...Yea thats right..on the lower rack...Sheck the smalles ones on the top rack and pull when tender.

Its impossible to get all PERFECT...But then again you can do your best to be close
icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

Back