Picnic...Fat up or down?

Basically what Mr. Irish is saying is true. when I do them on the kettle it is always fat cap up, however if you are going hot and fast on a vertical like the WSM with a dry pan fat side down is the ticket.

i've changed my mind on this. i take off almost all the fat. maybe leave a 1/8 layer. with the cap you get nothing through. also you end up taking it off any way so no rub or smoke tasting bark.

I'm with George here! There's plenty of fat inside that pork, so I trim just about all of it off so my rub will stick. Where there's fat, there is no bark!

I'm a trimmer too... no sense wasting precious surface area that could produce delicious bark!!

If you are cooking at the 250 range, I've only found that the cap doesn't render enough to make it anything but something I trim off after the fact. I've never had a problem with dry meat either, so I figure why mess with it!

Fat cap down always to protect from the hot coals below, weather doing low and slow or high heat. Fat cap up does not keep the meat moist as most think it does. Fat cap up, here's what happens. The fat melts and runs down the outside of the meat right into your water pan. It DOES NOT run down through the meat as some think it does. If you think I'm wrong, put a pat of butter on a hot piece of meat and watch what happens.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i've changed my mind on this. i take off almost all the fat. maybe leave a 1/8 layer. with the cap you get nothing through. also you end up taking it off any way so no rub or smoke tasting bark. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

X2

Back