Performer maintenance

Harold C

TVWBB Member
A little Saturday afternoon Performer maintenance. The brackets and bolts holding the gas burner tube to the kettle were rusted out. I needed to pull the burner tube off to clean it out and decided that it didn't make sense to re-install the rusted piece, so I ordered a new burner assembly from Weber. Installing the new one was today's chore. Fortunately, I had squirted the bolts on the old one with WD40 a couple of days ago, so they came right off.

While I was at it, I ordered a second tool holder. Kinda pricey at $21, but when it arrived, I realized it wasn't a piece of plastic. It's a chunky, heavy piece of chromed metal. Drilled a couple of holes and mounted it to the left of the current one, giving me six hanging tabs on the front (or, more importantly, four widely spaced tabs that are far enough apart to hold actual tools!)

Also been busy seasoning the Craycort grates for the Go Anywhere Grill. Three rounds in the oven. I think I'm just going to lay them on top of the cast iron grate in Performer and cook on them a little bit. See if I can't build up a nice layer of gunk. I've found that's by far the best way of keeping cast iron grates from rusting!

OK, pictures:

Here's the second tool holder installled on the front of the grill:

performertoolholder1_zps6843ab0c.jpg

And, the Weber kettle tool holders also work well on the Performer lid holder. Just bend the tabs to tighten them.

performertoolholder2_zps3b13e2ab.jpg

Back