Pecan Wood

Gary R Miller

TVWBB Super Fan
I am currently working on ordering me some pecan wood chips. I was informed that they maybe a little exspensive. What i was wondering if those who have used pecan wood for smoking. What they liked about it? Is it a stronger smoke flavor then hickory or other types? Even what you may have liked about as a choice for smoking? My butcher is very interested in what I find out.

It's a similar general flavor to hickory, but quite a bit milder than hickory. Pecan is our main cooking wood, both in the WSMs and in the stick burner. Absolutely outstanding cooking wood.

I consider pecan the "if you only had one smokewood, what would it be" smokewood. Mild enough for poultry; strong enough to compliment both pork and beef. Excellent for pastrami. Try to get some chunks if you can.

I agree. Although I am most fond of fruit woods, if I had to choose only one wood it would be pecan. Pecan is in the hickory family (which is in the walnut family) and, although a nut wood, it has several of the qualities of a fruit wood; a softer smoke and fuller flavor in the mid-range. It should not be expensive, however. Check other sources before committing to a high price.

Gary, pecan is great to smoke with. I ordered 40#'s from here. They come in large chunks that I split into 2. I prefer these over chips.
Natures own

Very happy with the wood they shipped me.

I haven't got the price on the Pecan but I hope to have a price by tomorrow after I get home from work. I buy a 5 blend hickory mix from for $12.00 for a 40lb bag. Its more like saw dust reason being I am useing Smokey Mountain Big Block Propane fired smoker. I found that this works the best. My next smoke I am going to try adding a few chunks with it and see what the results are. Tomorow I hope to post some pics from the Butts I did for thanksgiving. Waiting on a child to assist me in putting them on the internet. Also I would like to thank you all for your input. So I will more then likely be ordering it anyway. Will let yas know more when I know more.

A have a firewood guy bring me 40-50 sticks of pecan. It is absolutely my favorite wood, although I am becoming fond of orange and grapefruit as well. Like every one else had already said, yhe pecan goes well with everything.

You may look into calling some local firewood guys, they may run across some.

I'm currently working with some pecan lumber on several woodoworking projects. Will the cut-offs be suitable for smoking?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RJP:
I'm currently working with some pecan lumber on several woodoworking projects. Will the cut-offs be suitable for smoking? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If it's untreated or unfinished, it should be OK. Although some advise kiln-dried lumber does not give off as much smoke as that typically sold as smokewood.

I lucked up a while back. One of the guys I work with had a pecan tree loose a very large limb in a storm. He had cut it up for using in his commercial smoker (he also runs a BBQ joint) and said I could have all of it I wanted as he mostly smokes with oak. Took a few big logs home and split them up and sawed the wedges into fist sized chunks on the radial arm saw (it was time consuming). But for free, worth the effort. Pecan is awsome wood to smoke with. In fact, my hickory stack has remained untouched since I started using the pecan.

Well it turns out the salesman said he wouldn't consider getting it in. So I will be looking at the other sight provided in this thread. With all your recommendations I will be trying and looking locally at other stores for pecan.

Gary, here is a site that I've used for wood. Real good price plus they have a special if you buy 2-20 pounders. It's called naturesown.com out of Rhode Island

How long does it take to cure wood for smoking purposes?Thanks to the recent hurricane there are pecan tress down everywhere I go.

Will,

My experience is that it onlytakes a few months if you cut the wood into slices and then split the slices into wood chunks. It seasons very quickly this way.

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray Crick:
Will,

My experience is that it onlytakes a few months if you cut the wood into slices and then split the slices into wood chunks. It seasons very quickly this way.

Ray </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Ray!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Will R.:
How long does it take to cure wood for smoking purposes?Thanks to the recent hurricane there are pecan tress down everywhere I go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sounds like it's time to consider a part time business - "pecan chunks R us".

I bet people would beg you to take their "trash" pecan limbs & trees away. Might be a chance to make something good of an otherwise bad event.

Back