Overnight butt cook, in 20's tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Solin

TVWBB Super Fan
Need more pulled pork for tailgater Saturday,
going to do an overnighter in real cold weather,
one large shoulder, two butts, will put on about 7:30pm, sand in water pan, try to get done before work tommorrow.

Put two frozen butts and one frozen shoulder on at 7:00pm. Full ring of unlit charcoal, full chimney of lit coals on top, sand in water pan with foil on top. Got down to 17-18 last night,
at 7:00am the lid thermo was 240! 12 hour cook with no additional fuel in damn cold weather.
These things work well. The internals on butts were showing 168, put in foil and oven to finish.
I am sure if I started with thawed meat it would have been done. Will do it again tonight.

How do you season frozen butts? Do you cook for a couple hours first, or do you just cover the block with mustard?

I just washed the butts and shoulder and applied rub. The frozen butts did not come out very well.
Don't know if it was the freezing part or bad meat. Ended up pitching both butts, the shoulder came out real nice.

Did another batch of fresh butts last night, put on about 7:30pm, had to run almost wide open because of the 16 degree cold, checked at 5:00am,
looked low on coals though temp was 250, added coals, did not check internals on butt then, checked again at 7:00am, lots of fire, 280 degrees, butts somewhat overcooked. Should have stuck a polder in a 5:00am, oh well!

Love overnight cooks, even in 16 degree weather.

Dennis, hope the butts are done right because I'll be stopping by your tailgaiter this weekend. I hope Ryan doesn't have any trouble getting the big dog started in about 4 hours ha ha. I am going to do a Turkey this year, and bring the fam around to good cooking. GO DUCKS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back