Outdoor Cooking Gloves, possible warning

Jeremiah Sullivan

TVWBB Member
I've been using a pair of these for a while now for all my bbq needs and have been very pleased until recently.

I was heating up a cast iron skillet in the oven to sear some tenderloin filets. Upon reaching in the oven to remove the skillet (wearing the Eastman gloves) the heat went right through to my palm. The pain was intense, and I was left soar in the area for several days, however no real damage was done.

I also have a pair of FlameX gloves which show someone holding a burning log on their packaging. Perhaps these are more heat resistant, but I've yet to use them.

I've checked the Eastman Outdoors website for a temperature rating, but none is listed.

Anyone else have any similar experiences ?

Those are basically welding gloves. You can get them at a welding supply for about $7.00 a pair or a Harbor Freight for about $6.00 for three pair.

I've found when they're new, the heat can go through them pretty quick. As they get used, the leather sort of tempers and toughens up (gets a lot stiffer) and the heat doesn't go through 'em as fast.

i keep a pair under my gasser for moving the grates around when cleaning but thats it. i would never hold anything hot with them.

I'ved used those and other similiar gloves for BBQing and camping when building fires, and I have held the log in my hand and been O.K.
The trick is not to hold the burning log for any length of time. I've left my gloves out in the rain and even after they dry they don't seem to be quite the same.

I think it's likely that the cast iron conducts heat incredibly well compared to wood (even burning wood).

I've used these gloves (or something similar) with fireplace tools and moved semi-burning logs with them, and they are fine in protecting your hands from the radiant heat of a roaring fire

Unless they're specified as welding gloves, I don't think I'd want to be holding a cast iron handle in my palm with them for any extended period of time.

Back