Orion Stainless Steel Cooker

Scot Eastwold

TVWBB Member
Has anyone seen or used one of these?

They are selling them at Home Depot for $129

icon_confused.gif

Just googled it. Not a lot of info on it anywhere.
In all candor, if you're looking at this instead of a WSM, I'd get the WSM as the Orion doesn't cost that much less.

Just my $.02.

Yes I did the same on Google

it looks to small to me I found some opinions about it on one site they seemed to like it

But still nothing can beat the WSM, I've had mine for about a year

Here is a lot more info.... formerly called "The Gobbler". There is no "fire" under the meat. Just heat from coals placed around the base and on the top. Not too different from "trash can turkey" cooker that I and many other Scouters have used.

Orion Cooker

Not for me..... WSM for just a few dollars more, and "real" smoked meat over a "real" fire.

It's probably good if you need something portable for camping, but at home I don't see it doing anything your oven can't do.

Just goes to show that if you make it from shiny stainless steel somebody will buy it. Not me.

It's discussed in today's New York Times Business Section. It's the business section so the article is more about marketing.

In the picture with the article it looks like you put charcoal in the top vent... huh?

Here's a link to the article .

Thanks for the link - interesting.

In the Times article they say you add wood chips for a smokey flavor - but I am not clear on where to put them.

As far as the smoking goes here is a quote from the link above

Additionally, the consumer can increase the moisture levels by adding water to the drip pan or change flavors by adding apple juice, beer or white wine. If desired, the Orion will also smoke the product. Adding wood chips between the inside wall of the main cooking cylinder and the drip pan will produce meat that tastes as if it has been smoking all day.

Do we can this one fast and low??? If so then the meat will be cooked enough but the tougher meats will not get the time to soften as you do with the WSM.

It probably works well but let the ORION folks start their own Virtual Orion site.

Back