On HH why fatcap up after foiling?

Shaun H

TVWBB Fan
Been doing some research and EVERY one says fatcap down to protect from heat for the first half, and then EVERY one says fatcap up after foiling.

The first step makes sense, for the high heat. The debate on a low and slow for up/down seems to be absent on a high heat cook.

However, having cap up after foiling seems counter-intuitive. Wouldn't this go to just wash off the rub? With the juices collecting in the foil tray, wouldn't it be smarter to have the bark side up? Or is the idea that with high heat/foil, the fat cap renders down best when on top? Trying to get an understanding of WHY, here. Thanks.

Talked to an Old Timer the other day, had reason to be at his home. He had a very old home made stick burner in his back yard. Says he has been smoking meats on it for two decades. By the looks of it I believe him. Loved to do brisket, does them for all the family get together's.
He does whole packers only and has some family members that have the WSM.
He liked the WSM and said it does a great job but you have to cook differently on them. Asked him what he meant and he said it is all about the heat and where it is coming from. He say's the horizontal cookers put a lot of heat across the top of the meat mostly from one end. So the cap has to be up on them. For the WSM heat is coming from below mostly and they should have the cap on the bottom.
Seems to make sense to me.

Talked to an Old Timer the other day, had reason to be at his home. He had a very old home made stick burner in his back yard. Says he has been smoking meats on it for two decades. By the looks of it I believe him. Loved to do brisket, does them for all the family get together's.
He does whole packers only and has some family members that have the WSM.
He liked the WSM and said it does a great job but you have to cook differently on them. Asked him what he meant and he said it is all about the heat and where it is coming from. He say's the horizontal cookers put a lot of heat across the top of the meat mostly from one end. So the cap has to be up on them. For the WSM heat is coming from below mostly and they should have the cap on the bottom.
Seems to make sense to me.

Actually, it makes perfect sense. Appreciate your reply.

Back