Older 18" Kettle

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_Sanchez

TVWBB Member
I picked up an older 18" Weber kettle yesterday for $20. It has a vintage look wooden handles and all(no pics cause I dont think I can upload from my computer). I have wanted an older style for a while so for me it was a good find.

Now for the rehab. I have started by cleaning up what I can clean up. I got some great tips for my WSM have just applied it to this. Except, I went with the Zep citrus degreaser. I sprayed it in a few spots with this and let it sit for a while then wiped off. Not sure if this was going to be damaging to the kettle but it had years of cooks on it.

It has a leaf shape vent at the bottom that has rust on the vent as well as the bar used to open and close it. Not sure if this can be cleaned, left as is or should I replace it? If it had an ash catcher, it is missing.

Im looking for other things I should do make it look good again. Any help is appreciated. If I should be replace that vent can anyone point me to a place for replacement parts for an older 18"?

the leaf shaped vent is called an ash sweeper or one-touch cleaning system

you can replace it if it's rusted out.

for cleaning the inside of the bowl and lid, i use the strongest degreaser i can find and a plastic putty knife

for the outside, i use the same cleaner and 0000 grade steel wool.

You can get replacement ash catchers, i think they come with new legs and wheels. Or you can convert it into a one-touch gold by getting the enclosed ash bucket. (this is what i'd do)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back