Old School

Scott Dacey

I started out BBQing in competitions. Knew nothing. Quickly learned. Having a back ground in Electrical Engineering, I've designed and built temp control circuits. But to be honest, that wasn't satisfying enough. To me thats like throwing it in the oven and setting the timer. So I scraped all that crap. Now, I'm fighting with an old 18" WSM, circa 1970. The vents are really small and it doesn't get enough air flow. Without electronically modifying it, what have you done to remedy this? I'm thinking of reaming out the lower vents and the upper vent or adding more vents upper and lower. Any suggestions? I really want to keep this vanilla as the kids say.

I don't think there is any reason to enlarge the vent holes or add any others. If you are trying high heat above 325 then a kettle is a better option. The WSM stock works just fine for temps below 300 for smoking. If you are having problems keeping temps between 225 -300 I would work on the fire management.

If you remember this simple guideline, you shouldn't have an issue...
The number of lit coals partially determines the cooking temperature range.
The number of unlit coals partially determines for long you can cook at that range.

Back