Noob Bros 1st Smoke Journey

Most folks will tell you, and I'd agree, that any benefits of the smoke via wood was done in the first hour or two of the cook. As for the pull temp, temp is helpful but shouldn't be your final decision maker. Pull the meat when your probe, or a fork, or a knife, or anything with a sharp edge goes in like it is butter. Sometimes that 195, sometimes, 200, sometimes something else, but it's always when the fats and things in the meat have melted away and are no longer holding the meat together.

First off I am guessing that you are the older one. I add coal unlit every couple of hours on a long cook. I just open the door and toss some in. Some say the unlit will have a smell but I have not noticed an issue. I also bought some welding gloves to protect my arms when adding coals or wood. Good luck and try not to be too hard on him.

"Read Curt's post" my brother said. Hahaha

Yes, I am the older one. :)

I am not opposed to adding some but so many things I read said it shouldn't be necessary. I am all good as long as the temp stays in range.

Btw, our Dad is on the "add more coals" bandwagon too. LOL

Carl,

Thanks for the charcoal view. Looks like you went thru a healthy amount of charcoal in a relatively short time. There are a couple of factors which can cause this. In one of your first pictures, you seem to have a good amount of smoke issuing from around the door and between the top and middle sections. The door might need a minor amount of tweaking to stop that leakage. And the sections, unless you have an out of round condition, should seal themselves after some more cooks. The other factor is the water. The purpose of the water is to keep the temperatures in check. You started out with a full load of charcoal and added the 40 lit coals using the minion method. You will find that 40 is too many and probably produced more heat than required. The water tried to keep the temperature in check and as such you also went through a good amount of water.... and charcoal.

Bob

Carl,

You started out with a full load of charcoal and added the 40 lit coals using the minion method. You will find that 40 is too many and probably produced more heat than required. The water tried to keep the temperature in check and as such you also went through a good amount of water.... and charcoal.

Bob

I think you nailed it. We used 40 because it was cold out, but apparently it wasn't as cold as to need 40. Next time we will go with 20.

The door smoke was only at the very beginning and seen very little during cook.

Dale added 10 more briquets about 30 minutes ago just to carry us through.

We are getting close to 10 hour mark and will be probing very soon.

Last edited:
My insight comes from being the little brother. Good move on the charcoal. You can ignore little bro but never ignore Dad.

Butts are done!!!!

10 hours. Internal temps 198-200. Probe inserts super easy.

60D863A5-6192-4F2F-A543-016DAAB6CFC8-1198-00000186FD8650B8_zpsdbe0093f.jpg

3B29AC52-895B-4BB3-86F0-2E8060613E81-1198-00000186F46B3452_zpsf2568df0.jpg

72D30BD4-8B6B-4CF1-8F92-296D8738D237-1198-000001870546A4B2_zpsa40dfc3f.jpg

859BBF95-5D5B-438F-954B-64F493BBE2E5-1198-000001870CF3EA25_zpsa6948d1a.jpg

Wrapped them in foil to rest for 30 minutes then it will be time to pull.

Congratulations, Carl !
Excellent looking Boston Butts !!! :wsm:

Two things though... You got that shiny WSM dirty. You need to get it dirtier.... ;)
So, what's on the menu for the next smoke ??????

Enjoy the excellent results of your first, very successful, cook !

Bob

Pulled the butts

F28B32B8-7156-4682-8840-DC89AF31B82F-1567-000001922C62C618_zpse7867add.jpg

190816A2-8A75-44AF-BDAA-69C435BB03FC-1567-00000192348EF5B9_zpscd113c1a.jpg

We've had several samples and it is delicious!

Also, never seen it so tender anywhere.

Getting ready to make a plate and eat. :)

Congratulations, Carl !
Excellent looking Boston Butts !!! :wsm:

Two things though... You got that shiny WSM dirty. You need to get it dirtier.... ;)
So, what's on the menu for the next smoke ??????

Enjoy the excellent results of your first, very successful, cook !

Bob

We're thinking bone-in turkey breasts next weekend. That is what our Dad wants. He came over and made himself a couple of sandwiches while we were still pulling and loved the pork. He said it was outstanding. :)

I just wanted thank everyone here who helped out during our innaugural smoke. Your feedback was wonderful. Finally, thanks to tvwbb.com for providing the resources.

What a fantastic play by play for a first cook! My first cook was a nerve wracking event where the thought of taking pics and posting a play by play never even crossed my mind (this was only a few weeks ago). My first was also two boneless butts which turned out great. I'm definitely ready to repeat the adventure after reading along here!

nice work on those butts! they look great.

one last tip for you... if you're not cooking on the bottom grate, take it out. i've left it in more times than not and 20 min into the cook i realize i forgot it. it just makes more clean up.

What a fantastic play by play for a first cook! My first cook was a nerve wracking event where the thought of taking pics and posting a play by play never even crossed my mind (this was only a few weeks ago). My first was also two boneless butts which turned out great. I'm definitely ready to repeat the adventure after reading along here!

Well it definitely helped that there were 2 of us. I would tell my brother "wait, I got to get pictures" at those points.

If I was doing to solo it would have been much more difficult to do the play by play. :)

For example, when I took the picture of the coals it doesn't show that Dale was carefully holding the side door open just enough for me to get a good shot.

Bottom line: It helps to have a good teammate. Thanks Dale. :)

nice work on those butts! they look great.

one last tip for you... if you're not cooking on the bottom grate, take it out. i've left it in more times than not and 20 min into the cook i realize i forgot it. it just makes more clean up.

We did the same - thought about it about 30 minutes into the cook. After seeing that it got a little gunky at the end we thought about it again and will try to remember to leave it out next time.

On another note:

Foiling the bottom of the pan left it looking like new. We dumped the water in the yard, rinsed it with cold water to cool it, and then used hot soapy water to clean the inside of the bowl. Next time we do butts we will try the "spray with PAM" method to see if clean up is even easier.

Congrats gentlemen...
Pulled pork looks good. Nice bark.

I've never....and I mean never have ate pulled pork without saucing the daylights out of it. I've had most of the famous Memphis BBQ such as Corky's, Interstate, Central, Tom's etc. and have always sauced.

Yesterday I ate ours with NO sauce. That is how delicious it was.

Thanks again all.

Great cook. Great story ... I always have a "to-do" list posted in my calendar as I get so many great ideas from reading this board.. Next pork butt rib or brisket cook u do, u gotta throw on a tray if doctored up baked beans on the bottom rack to catch all the drippings ... They are pretty darn good and super easy..

Back