No Smoke Ring

Greg Muller

TVWBB Member
Made BB and spares this weekend. Came out good but one problem was no smoke ring. Cooked at 260-280 for almost 4 hours. Plenty of smoke coming out of the smoker but no ring in the meat. Used 4 chunks of hickory from a bag of wood from Lowes. Slathered with worchester sauce followed by Texas Champ rub. Could taste the smoke, not over powering. Any ideas why no ring. Also when useing a clay saucer should I foil the pan and saucer and place the saucer in the pan or just foil the saucer. Used 14 in saucer foiled and placer in unfoiled pan. Big mess but I am more interested in temp regulation. Had to fiddle alot with this cook.

The smoke ring is a chemical reaction having to do with nitrites in the smoke mixing with the water in the meat and forming nitric acid. (something like that)

I would guess your "slathered with worchester sauce" may have prevented the penetration into the meat. And since you're not using a water pan, there's less moisture thus a less pronouced smoke ring.

smoke ring has more to do with a chemical reaction as mentioned. i use just salt and pepper and sometimes garlic salt on the meat and then very little smoke. i always get a decent ring.

Smoke doesn't penetrate appreciably; particulates stick to the meat. Worcestershire is not enough to prevent the reaction.

Was the meat room temp? Smoke insufficient (not that it takes much)?

I know I'm new, and just did up my first batch, but my neighbor is a pro. Could it be the high heat? When he saw my temp at 250, he told me me to drop it down and maintain 225. He said the smoke - "smokes more" at the lower temp. I did -the smoke did, and the smoke ring was there. Low and Slow - is what he said about 10 times so that's the way I plan to go - Low and Slow.

Peace, Perry

High or low heat, smoke ring only forms up to I believe 140 degrees, meat temperature. If your ribs went on at room temp, then you have a smaller smoke ring formation window. Even on chuck roasts, which I do at 325-350 have a gorgeous smoke ring. I slather ribs and butts with woosty as well, its not enough to prevent ring formation.

Smokes more? No.

250 is hardly high heat. It is considered, rightly, low/slow.

It's usually one of three reasons that rings don't form: lack of smoke (including misplacement of the meat in the draft - hard to do on a WSM); a barrier on the meat's surface, preventing the chemical reaction; the meat being too warm (this includes the meat being allowed to warm before smoking, and the meat warming in the cooker before the smoke gets going).

Actual high heat cooking will not disallow ring formation. To wit:

bbackclo.jpg

Smoked at 325-350 - because I see no need to smoke lower.

I can attest to what Mr. Kruger is saying. I follow his high heat rib method and I get a great smoke ring even though the ribs only get 90 minutes to 2 hours in the smoke before foiling.

Yes, cold meat and a relatively slow come up in temperature using the Minion Method exclusively gives me great smoke rings.

Remember that your smoke ring stops forming around 140-160 depending on who you ask. The meat is still taking on smoke flavor, the pink ring is just set. Honestly I'd say don't worry about it, the smoke ring is only an aesthetic thing and if you're not competing with your bbq, who cares? If your finished product tastes better cooked at a higher temp or when started warmed, I wouldn't change the system for a better smoke ring.

It doesn't take much. People who use electric smokers report that adding a couple briquettes gives them a smoke ring so I suppose I'd say be sure you have a clean burning fire. Past that, if you want to "cheat" a little bit take a tablespoon of morton's tenderquick and sprinkle it on your meat and let it sit for 10 minutes, rinse it off and prep as usual. You'll have a faux smoke ring.

Back