New York Strips on The Smokefire

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
Yesterday I grilled New York Strip Steaks. Three were cooked medium rare and 1 was medium. Our Daughter, Son, and Daughter iin Law each got a steak and my wife and I split one. I brought them up to about 110° at 300° pit temp, removed them, and brought the grill up to 550. Then I seared the steaks for about 5 minutes - flipping once. Pellets were Cabela's Cherry which are Oak and Cherry. Total time for the cook was about 30 minutes.
I don't cook steak very often and had only reverse seared on my kettle. Doing it on the EX6 is definitely different but the timing came out about the same. On this cook I lucked out. The medium steak came out medium. The three medium rare steaks were pink almost edge to edge. My daughter made the salad and Garlic mashed potatoes that we served with it.
My wife and oldest daughter are great Cooks. I'm just a cook and this cook was about as good as I'll get with steaks10-08-23 New York Strip 1.jpg10-8-23 New York Strip 2.JPG. I didn't remember the table picture until everyone had started filling their plates.

Lew, it's funny that your post is about steak but all I see is that you had dinner with your family. You are blessed. Sure, steak is nice. Family at the dinner table is even better. I'm sure you all enjoyed a nice evening together.

Lew, it's funny that your post is about steak but all I see is that you had dinner with your family. You are blessed. Sure, steak is nice. Family at the dinner table is even better. I'm sure you all enjoyed a nice evening together.
Yup, it's always about family. Brett, my wife and I are having a bad health year. At 82 things pile up. Sara and I are blessed with caring kids and grandkids. We have had constant support since my health went south in February but I seem to be on the mend and I like being able to give a little back to the family..

Back