New Years Day Smoke - Shoulder & BB's w-pics

Jim Quinn

TVWBB Fan
Temps were @ arounf 6 degrees, with a below zero windchill when I put the shoulder I injected the night before on the WSM(rubbed the night before and wrapped in plastic wrap, then rubbed again before ptting on the WSM). got it on @ 7:20 a.m., and followed it up with 2 slabs of BB ribs @ 8:00 a.m.

Ribs were done @ 12:00, really nice(I used 2 different rubs I got for x-mas, I typically make my own rub, but wanted to try these. I Used Rufus Teague & Arthur Bryant Rubs, the favorite was Arthur Bryant, but both were pretty good).

Bone in SHoulder was done @ 5:20 p.m., 11 hours for 5.45 lbs, shoulder got wrapped in foil, and tossed in a cooler for an hour before pulling. One of the best PP I have done, and made for a real nice sandwich with some home made slaw.

WSM held a steady 230 degree temp the whole time, I had to add water the the water pan a couple times, and add a few chimneys of lit lump a couple times during the 11+ hours.

nyd10001.jpg

nyd10016.jpg

nyd102006.jpg

nyd102008.jpg

nyd102018.jpg

nyd102020.jpg

thanks for looking.

Ill be doing more ribs this weekend for the NFl games.

Nice Job Jim.Thats one thing I have not done yet, add coldslaw on top.It sure looks good.
Where's the <span class="ev_code_GREEN">MONEY MUSCLE</span>!! Just when I figured out the difference between a picnic and a Boston butt,Now I have to watch out for the <span class="ev_code_GREEN">MONEY MUSCLE</span> !!You got to love it!LOL
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_wink.gif

thanks

this one was labled as a butt from the store, but when I got to pulling it it had the whole shoulder knuckle inside, not just the small blade to pull out.

smoked the same way, and was really good(finished the leftovers yesterday, used some for enchiladas, and some for another sandwich).

Now that I look at it, it has the shape of a basketball.How much did you pay per lb?
I guess it doesn't matter what shape it is as long as it tasted good.
You sure are using that WSM,ribs,butts,porterhouse,ABT.You can stop now,your making me look bad.
icon_redface.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by simon j:
nice job. 11 hours, nice. you shaved some time luckily. Mine normally go 14-15hrs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks,

this one was pretty typical for me, about 2 hours per pound( i typically pull them at 195 internal). It was a 5.5 lb. shoulder.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck Dugas:
Now that I look at it, it has the shape of a basketball.How much did you pay per lb?
I guess it doesn't matter what shape it is as long as it tasted good.
You sure are using that WSM,ribs,butts,porterhouse,ABT.You can stop now,your making me look bad.
icon_redface.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks..
icon_smile.gif

it was #1.29/lb.

the new WSM really turns out some good looking,and great tasting food.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ron "Rondo" hanson:
Jim, ... noticed the oven thermo on the grate, do you also have a weber dome thermo?...if so how did they compare? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

they were pretty close. Lid was reading 240ish, Upper grate was reading 230. Air temp was 6 degrees, windchill in the -10 degree range.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary H. NJ:
Jim - great BBQ, great pics. Real nice job. Thanks for the inspiration. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks Gary. one of my best smokes yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ron "Rondo" hanson:
Nice Holiday smoke and good pix
icon_smile.gif
What kind of wind break did ya use in that wind chill... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wind was from the NW, so my house blocked most of it. I did have my old GOSM gasser blocking the wind that made it around the house though.
icon_smile.gif

Back