New Kingsford Sucks!

I wasn't looking for it toady, but at Sams here a guy ahead of me in line had the groovy Kingsford - 2 pack of 21.6(?) pound bags.

What really sucks is the Sam's by my house has nothing but the new stuff.
icon_mad.gif

A pastrami is on the new stuff, so we'll see how that goes. Shorter cook, of course, but could be interesting.

I'm anxious to hear about it.

I opened what may turn out to be my last bag of the "classic" this evening. I did a little looking around today and it looks like evryone is getting the new stuff in stock. A neighborhood grocery still has plenty of the original, but its relatively expensive there.

Walmart had plenty of Royal Oak lump, which Naked Whiz ranks well. I tried it this afternoon for my meatloaf cook and was pleased.

My wife came home with a bag of the new groovy stuff. I did 3 racks of ribs using the MM and they came out great.

tt

Here is a picture of a 9lb. bag of "new" Kingsford. I took it with the camera phone at Wally World on Saturday night...

The bottom of the bag says "burns as long as a 10lb bag" or something to that effect....

Just thought I'd pass it along for those of you who haven't seen it yet...Our Sam's Club still has the K grooves Kingsford.....

surefire.jpg

I was at my local Sam's last night and the first shipment of the year was the old stuff in 2x24 pound bags. I bought four twin packs.

Originally posted by Konrad Haskins:
I was at my local Sam's last night and the first shipment of the year was the old stuff in 2x24 pound bags. I bought four twin packs.
That's reassuring! I was at our Sam's Friday and all they had was the new stuff. Thanks for the info, Konrad.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Yes that is Kingsford lump in the background. I fired up a chimney of this lump this weekend and I'd swear that it was the Fourth of July. I've never seen so much sparking in my life. I had the weber on the deck and was concerned about catching the deck on fire. I won't do that again. I definately do not recommend Kingsfords lump. Bought mine at Wal-Mart in KC.

Chris,

Humphrey's lump does the same thing ~ Scared the heck out of me too the 1st time. Seems, though, that the fireworks only happen when lighting in a chimney, not when using in a kettle or WSM. Many are now lighting charcoal in their chimney and spreading it over the lump when cooking Minion Method which seems to work very well.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Upon further review, I tried groovy Kingsford on a turkey smoke and could not get the temp above 300 for love nor money.

It worked fine the day before on a low and slow smoke.

I will experiment with royal oak, lump, etc.

My turkey only turned out OK, not great.

tt

New stuff worked fine for steaks. Got a 2 pack of 21 pounders at Sams. It is BS that it burns longer though, they just wanted to make the bags smaller I suspect.

Well after a visit to Home Depot I now have 320 pounds of the original Kingsford. They have it on sale 2x 20 pound packs for 7.95. Stock up now, may not get another chance...

I've tried the new stuff, see no difference from the old stuff, except it is a smaller bag. I think it is just an excuse to charge the same amount for less of a product.

It's really common to see a Company sell a product for the same price, but with less weight or product count in it. Many times, people don't notice that there is an ounce or two less coffee or ice cream from the last time they bought it, but they will notice a price increase.
It would kind of be like not getting a raise at work, but them letting you work more O/T to make up the difference for the cost of living going up and not getting a raise lol.
icon_eek.gif

I've read on the other forums that the new Kingford is made more for grilling (hot and fast) rather than smoking (low and slow).

I was at the local Sam's Tuesday and saw a almost full pallet of the old Kingford but passed it by. The very next day I had to go back and the old Kingford was nowhere to be found but they did have two full pallets of the new Kingford. I asked about it hoping to be able to buy the old stuff but was told they send it back. The new stuff is all they are going to have from now own unless you special order it.

For the overnight pork butt cook I did last night, I only had enough Kingsford to fill half the charcoal ring, so I filled the rest with the new Kingsford, which I immediately niticed is a bit smaller than the old and somewhat lighter.

The cook went great and I had no complaints with temp control or any other issue. BUTT, I lit the cooker at 8pm and at 8:30am I noticed temps starting to drop, I checked the fuel and it was almost all gone. I lit another 1/2 chimney of the new stuff and added it and that got me home.

Never had to add fuel on an overnight pork butt cook with the old Kingsford. More testing required before I condemn it though.

Back