New HM 4.2 Build Questions - so far so good (I think)

Up and running - struggling to access it through my wi-fi network

Using the software instructions, I was able to connect via wi-fi to the HM with my computer. I then was able to get to the HM home page, and the Network-wifi config page. I clicked "join" for my wi-fi network, and put in a password (which I now think was wrong). I clicked "Save & Apply" like in Step 5. Then like Step 6 says, it showed me the persistent "Waiting for changes to be applied . . ." message. I follwed Step 7 and went to Network -> Interfaces. Internet Explorer gave me the "page not found" - blank page. I figured I must have put in the wrong password.

I tried re-booting the HM. No good. Is the Rpi now in Client mode (not AP)? But it isn't connected to my wi-fi network?

Now what? Do I start over and re-image my SD card?

Using the software instructions, I was able to connect via wi-fi to the HM with my computer. I then was able to get to the HM home page, and the Network-wifi config page. I clicked "join" for my wi-fi network, and put in a password (which I now think was wrong). I clicked "Save & Apply" like in Step 5. Then like Step 6 says, it showed me the persistent "Waiting for changes to be applied . . ." message. I follwed Step 7 and went to Network -> Interfaces. Internet Explorer gave me the "page not found" - blank page. I figured I must have put in the wrong password.

I tried re-booting the HM. No good. Is the Rpi now in Client mode (not AP)? But it isn't connected to my wi-fi network?

Now what? Do I start over and re-image my SD card?

That would be the easiest method to get back to square one, but you can't just re-image it because the settings will still be there. You will need to add the "no restore" to a file on the sd card following the link

Norestore

The easiest thing is to plug in a keyboard, wait for it to boot up and press enter then type `wifi-client networkname password` and press enter. Reboot and you've got it.

Stuck after entering wi-fi network password

I was able to re-flash my SD card. I re-formatted it, and I added the norestore command line option. I was again able to connect to the HM, and access the configuration screen. I logged into it, and found my wi-fi network, and entered the correct password. But again, after I waited about a minute, I went to Network -> Interfaces. I got the blank "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" page. And like last time, I no longer see the "heatermeter" device when I scan for wifi networks. Any ideas? I wonder if my laptop is the problem. My next attempt, I will try to repeat the whole process on my desktop computer. It uses a wi-fi adapter.

What IP are you connecting to during the initial configuration, and what IP are you connecting to after you've configured wifi on it?

After you configure the unit with your home wifi settings, you will receive an IP address from the wireless router you have at home. If you reboot the heatermeter and watch the display, after a minute or so, it should show you the new IP address, or you can go to http://heatermeter.com/devices/ and it should show you the IP of your heatermeter.

After you configure the unit with your home wifi settings, you will receive an IP address from the wireless router you have at home. If you reboot the heatermeter and watch the display, after a minute or so, it should show you the new IP address, or you can go to http://heatermeter.com/devices/ and it should show you the IP of your heatermeter.

Thanks Steve. That did it. Will the IP address be the same every time? Can I save that IP address as a favorite?

It may change every time depending on how long it's been unplugged for and how your router gives out addresses. If you poke around your router you may find a way to give it a "static" or "fixed" address so that it is the same every time. http://heatermeter.com/devices/ will always show you the right local address though, so you could also bookmark that if you don't mind the extra click.

Thanks again guys for all the help.
My next question is about thermocouple pit probes. I apologize if this is covered somewhere in another thread. I have done some research. Probes, connectors, etc. are available via many online sources. Before I buy a probe and pay shipping, I thought I would ask if any of you recommend certain types and from certain sources?

You just need to make sure it's "K" type (Chromel/Alumel) and that the braid is rated for the temps you're cooking at.

I am ready to purchase a servo for my HM4.2. I plan to use it with a Roto-Damper. I have seen others mention "MG90S". In Amazon, I see them with many brand names, from many sources. Can anyone suggest a particular one that I can look for?

Tower Pro MG90s
As for TC, I prefer isolated over grounded type which you have linked to above. I find my isolated TC responds extremely fast so their comment about a grounded TC responding faster is not a big deal, but I find the grounded type are much more susceptible to interference when touching something that may be grounded....

Last edited:

Back