new guy...quick question

Damian Romero

did my first smoke today (some ribs, sorry no pics) on my ECB (only mod is drilled holes in the firepan), it wasnt as bad as i thought...altho i had to babysit the temp for the 4 1/2 hours, hope my new WSM (that arrives on tuesday) is alot easier lol

any have some general tips for smoking..and also just wondering how often do yall smoke?

I smoke 2-3 times a month. Tips?. In my opinion the K.I.S.S. method works best. Just put your rub/sauce on and put it in the smoker. No foiling, flipping or mopping. That's just me. Others have great results doing those. It's all personal preference.

You'll find that the two smokers are completely different, altogether. That's why the el cheapo Brinkman is one of the most popular items on craigslist.

I'd suggest using the procedures, ie Minion Method, on the Virtual Bullet site and go from there. (Personally, even on short cooks, I prefer to always have some unlit on the bottom with wood underneath the lit coals.) Study how Chris' cooks went, and notice how he'd have to stir the coals on long cooks. He recommends Kingsford, and it's good and cheap. Just tap the cooker legs every few hours as insurance against ash suffocation, but that's not the cooker's fault. IMHO, for the wsm to be a "set it and forget it" cooker at it's best, use a low ash briquette like Stubbs, and water in the pan. I hear that Royal Oak briquettes are similiar.

Your cooker door will probably benefit from a little shaping to get a better seal. It's really easy, though. You can check to see if you're cooker is nice and tight for better temp control with a flashlight or just seeing if you can extinguish the coals quickly with all the vents shut. The tighter the better, and if there's any "out of round" condition with the lid, bowl, or middle section, that's no problem. You'll probably eventually drop the lid and need to tweak it a little, anyway. Speaking of care, it's a smoker, so don't get carried away keeping it clean. Mainly focus on the inside of the dome so you don't get the flaking on your meat. Knock the crud off your grates, but leave a little grease on to help prevent rust. I could go on, but I hope that helps. Have fun with it, and remember that there are lots of different ways to get good bbq.

When I switched from a ECB to my WSM 18 I never looked back, in fact I gave the ECB away cause it was just taking up space.
As good as the SWM is on the first smoke wait a few smokes and then it will really begin working great.

Mike

Oh yes, the WSM will definitely be an upgrade.

But don't be quick to toss that ECB - it still has its uses. The ECB's charcoal pan was an 'upgrade' to the first WSM's smallish water pan. It's grates can be used in the WSM to add capacity. It can be used as a 'stand' to put your chimney on while starting up.

never had an ECB but the WSM IS GONNER BLOW YOUR SOCKS OFF it really is that good ,,,had mine a few years now,i live in the uk and use it all year round ,it cleans up as good as new and holds temps to perfection . long live my weber and my performer and my OTS ..the best

I've said it before,I'll say it again. Ron Popeil ain't got nothing on set it and forget it like the WSM!

Back