New 22.5" WSM and a Brisket for the first smoke

Don W (Houston)

TVWBB Member
I am excited to try my new 22.5" WSM this weekend and I plan on smoking a brisket for the first smoke. From what I have seen here on the forum I will put a clay saucer in the water pan and see what happens. I hope I can get down to 225F and maintain it with this set up. Any suggestions or advise before the big day.

Thanks

If a Packer: fill your charcoal ring FULL and prepare for a LONG smoke at 225*. When it stalls don't crank up the heat or surrender and go to the house oven -- just maintain your cooker and it will come back up.

I would consider aiming for 250. Think of the word "range". As Dwain said it will be a LONG smoke. If you can stay in the 230-250 range first time out you will be doing fine. It will likely want to run on the hot side if it's new.

Yeah Bob I was thinking about that. I don't want to destroy 2 briskets on the first cook. Thanks. I will let you know how it turns out.

Don't want to confuse you with too much advice but if you are cooking two full packers and using the water pan which in the 22 is 3 gallons that's a lot of "heat sink" so you better make sure your temps are up before putting the meat on and make sure your water is hot.

Thanks Gary. I went out lunch time to costco and decided to go with just one packer. It is pretty big so one will be enough. But I will still wait for the temps to get up before I put it on. Thanks for the advise.

Well i put my brisket on and the smoker at 250 for 12 hours. I think next time I will cut it back to 9 hours. I also need to learn what part of the brisket to place my temp probe. It was a good brisket just not great but I was still happy with it. Thanks all for the advise.

Temp is not necessarily what you should be trying to achieve. You want your brisket probe tender, "jiggly" is the word that probably best suites the condition of the brisket. Reading your post after you cooked made me wonder if you left it on long enough. There are a lot of really good articles on here about cooking brisket. I have always foiled but I may try the next one without. 250 is a good average temp for low and slow, foiling in the 160-170 range and then taking it to Jiggly which ranges from generally 190's to 200 but it depends on the piece of meat and maybe some other conditions.
Here is a really good link.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?7188-High-Heat-Brisket-Method-A-Compilation

I know this is for HH but if you follow this cooking method just LNS along with foiling I'm sure you will make a good brisket. As far as the rubs and paste goes well that up to you.

How much did your brisket weigh?

Back