Need suggestions how to: Beef Backribs

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
My son brought these home yesterday saying; "see what you can do with these."

I'm assuming low and slow but I don't know to what temp. Looking for suggestion how to cook, to what temp and what rub flavoring. Also, should I mop or not? Looks like two slabs enclosed

7E84F2B5-B5F9-4952-A6A0-B67E06C1B6FB_zpsyinlgati.jpg

250 works fine for me. You can go just SP&G (which I have used many a time), I use Billy Bones Beefmaster most of the time.

Going to tender could be anywhere from 185 to 190+ depending how meaty they are and if you foil. The ones I do have enough fat on so I rarely mop, but you can if you want to add another layer of flavor.
Like Bill 250-275 is fine on the smoker for 4-5 hrs or grill them indirect on the kettle in a few hrs, depending on how fatty they be.

Tim

I'm having a difficult time keeping the temp below 300. My bottom vents are pretty trashed and they don't close all the way anymore. This is at 3 hours, I'm guessing they probably won't see five hours?

DF62602B-49CC-4E69-BB9A-0710F41D9044_zpsp67kzmos.jpg

You have some nice pull back on the one. I would start probing for tender
Good call Tim! I probed them at 3.5 hours, the probe went in like a hot knife in butter. It read as low as 189 in some places and as high as 204 in other places. I pulled them off, foiled them and wrapped them in towels in a small ice chest. Sadly, my son won't be home till 6PM, hopefully a prolonged rest (3 hours) won't hurt them any?

6D42704E-EB7A-4F2E-B62B-9A6A6F036EC9_zpstezwqd0z.jpg

They look and smell delicious

Wish I could smell them 'cause you're right, they do look delicious ! ! !

I don't think the rest will hurt them as long as they stay wrapped so they don't loose moisture.

BD

The ribs were amazing, even after a three hour rest (heck the rest was as long as the cook) I will do this again, I just wonder if 3 hours is the norm, or was this an odd cook? Thanks again for the help

C5D7AEC1-511F-4B2F-9695-727C5655B767_zpsbaxjumbx.jpg

When I've done these, Chuck, they are more like a 5-7 hour cook. Then again, I go 225 for these like I would a brisket, so YMMV!

Yours look fantastic, and I wish I could sample one. I virtually NEVER see beef ribs worth buying around here. :(

R

Nice Cook Chuck! I thought of beef ribs like a ribeye with a handle last time I cooked them, but the first time I did (long before I had much practice with outdoor cooking) them they were greasy and tough. No shiners on that rack, & I'm no expert on them yet, but those look perfect.

Back