need some input on feeding a large group of people

Nicolas

TVWBB Member
i'll be having a party in a couple weeks and am estimating about 100 people. i have one 22" WSM and a grill at my disposal. i'm trying to figure out a couple things and some logistics.

1)i really prefer very different types of smoke wood for pork than for brisket. i usually do hickory/apple for pork and oak for brisket. and because i only have one smoker i'm just not sure how to work around this.

2)Also, if i put the butts and the brisket on at the same time (some on top and some on bottom) one is goign to drip all over the other and i'd rather not have that happening either. has anyone devised a way around this?

3)lastly i'd just like other people's experience feeding that many people. what did you serve and how much? right now i'm thinking pulled pork, brisket, buns, coleslaw and maybe some chicken?

Nicolas,

Unless you're a seasoned veteran, cooking for 100 AND being a congenial host is going to be very difficult unless you cook in advance. By cooking your meat (pork and brisket) in advance you can use whatever wood you prefer as they can be cooked separately. Both pulled pork and brisket lend themselves well to cooking in advance. The issue is how to re-heat. You have several options. Foiled pans with sufficient moisture (juice, broth, combo)in the oven, FoodSaver style sealed plastic pouches in boiling water, pulled pork in a crock pot. Consider your resources; oven, smoker, crock pots, etc. The smoker and grill can be used for reheating as well (low indirect heat).

How much food to prepare? Many use 1/4lb (cooked, not precooked weight) per person for meat. You can assume you'll lose about 40% weight from the raw meat. Don't assume everyone will eat all 3 meats. You know your invite list best; you'll have to make an educated guess as to which meats will move the most. PP and brisket are generally more unique than chicken so you may go through more of those 2. Also consider sides. The more sides offered the less meat consumed.

The chicken you could do shortly before things kick off. I'd grill it not smoke it. It's faster and provides for a crispy skin which is more pleasing to the majority of people.

Prepare as much in advance as you can. The meat will keep for days. The sides can be done a day or 2 in advance. Enlist an extra set of hands for day of the event; something always comes up. Since you're hosting this party as opposed to working it for profit, you'll want to enjoy the event. Leaving too much for the end will only stress you out.

Paul

i was kind of hoping to not have to serve what i see as 'leftovers' and just starting the PP and brisket the night before to be done around noon since we planned the party for 2. but you might be right. i might just have to go with the reheating option. you dont think that you lose a significant amount of quality though?

Not at all. Restaurants don't/can't cook briskets or butts to order; it just takes too long. Once a butt is pulled, with a little juice (some use a little apple juice with water) to keep it moist, it will hold very well. On the brisket I'd recommend holding it whole. Slice the day of the party just before putting it back in the oven for reheating. This will keep it moist. Save your juice from the brisket cook if you can (foil final couple of hours). Foiling will save your juice but you'll sacrifice a little on the bark. No biggie. It gets sliced anyway and no one will tell the difference. A combo of brisket juice and salt free beef broth (if necessary) will work fine to reheat the brisket. I wouldn't sauce either meat at this time. Provide sauces on the side for your guests as not everyone likes it the same way. Your food won't come across as left overs. Remember the logistics involved; you're feeding 100. The meat has to go into pans for serving. You'll need tables and counter space. It would be different if you were sitting down with just 5 of your friends.

Paul

the party is on a saturday so let's say i cook everything the night-day-night before. when i take the butts and brisket out of the cooker what do i do with them? just wrap up in tin foil or a pan covered in foil and put them all in the refrigerator? i would like to make burnt ends out of the points as well so what if i reheat everything in the smoker while i'm making the burnt ends saturday morning? will this work? From what i understand i just want to get the butts and brisket up to 140 degrees internally when i reheat, correct? and this won't dry them out further?

I did a 100 people cook a couple of months back on a 22 WSM. I used one box of boneless butts and 1 box of boneless chicken leg quarters.

The pork was about 65 lbs (8 buts) and the chicken was a 40 lb box.

I did the butts overnight and when finished held in a Cambro then I did the chicken by adding 2 additional racks and with high heat it cooked up pretty fast.

Serve time was about 1pm.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> when i take the butts and brisket out of the cooker what do i do with them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let them cool on the counter and then wrap and put in the fridge.

You can make your burnt ends in the smoker. My preference would be to reheat the PP and brisket in the oven (ease and temp control). You only need to take that meat up to 120; you're just reheating as it's already cooked. Taking it to higher temps just dries it out. If you have access to the large electric roasters; they work very well for reheating and holding temps.

Paul

Nicolas,

I have a party coming up in two weeks. We're looking at about 75 guests. I decided that best plan was to buy and install a automatic temperature control (ATC) on the WSM. Without the ATC I don't think I can pull it off.

I'm thinking I'll put two briskets on the WSM the day before and let them run over night. I'll foil the briskets and finish them in the oven in the early morning, refire the WSM and throw six whole chickens on it.

Costco has nice size butts, that are already cut in half. The nice thing about the half butts is they cook faster (plus you get more bark). I figure I'll put two packages of butts on the kettle/smokenator combo early in the morning.

I'm still working on the timing, and I'm pretty certain that I will not get a lot of sleep that night. My father-in-law will be there to help.

The thought just occured to me that I would probably be better off with legs and thighs, instead of whole chickens. Thanks for making me think through my plan another time.

To me, pork butts reheat better than brisket. I would cook the butts first and do the overnight with the brisket and just hold it long enough for the party.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The pork was about 65 lbs (8 buts) and the chicken was a 40 lb box. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you made 105lbs of meat for 100 people? i'm confused now because Paul had mentioned 1/4lb per person which would be 25lbs total. were there a lot of leftovers?

I don't know. I could eat a pound of BBQ.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

yield was about 65% for both

so 100 lbs raw yields about 65 lbs cooked or about 10 oz. per person.

Leftovers depends on the number of sides. The party had a lot of sides so yes a lot of meat leftovers which the hosts wanted and paid for in advance.

You can get by with about 6-8 oz. cooked per person depending on the sides.

6 oz. for 100 = 37 lbs cooked
65% yield = 58 lbs raw

8 oz. for 100 = 50 lbs cooked
65% yield = 77 lbs raw

When there is free food, people tend to over eat or at least fill their plates so I wouldn't go as low as 4 oz. (1/4 lb) per person unless there are a lot of kids, women, and side dishes.

You get 65% yield? Is this on all your cooks or just the last?
The last 10 butts I have smoked have all came out right around 45% yield. And I am very careful when I pull my meat.
Wonder what other people are getting..

Brian, I usually get boneless Costco butts which also have a some of the fat cap trimmed.

Yield may have been closer to 60%. I can't find my notes right now, but certainly remember yield in the 60s.

The party is this saturday and here is what i've settled on. 100 people so i'm looking at 77lbs of raw meat.

2 x 15lbs pork shoulder from costco = 30lbs
2 x 10-12lbs brisket from butcher = 20-24lbs
a bunch of chicken pieces (thighs, drumsticks breasts) = 27lbs

= 77 - 81 lbs

i'm wondering though if this still isn't enough considering the chicken and the shoulders are weighed with bones in them. we will also have buns, coleslaw and potato salad as well as pie and cake for dessert. wuddya think? do i need another shoulder or something? there won't be a lot of children and most of the guests will be adults from early 20's to early 40's.

If you have some sides to go with it, you will have plenty of food.
Just be sure to plan out the cook, time wise.
and take pictures!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frank Eriksen:
Not a fan of boneless butts at Costco. But if that's all you got... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

can you explain why? just wondering because i've never bought them. i generally never buy any meat that isn't, at least, organic but since i'm feeding this many people the costco price point is much more attractive.

Back