Need some help

MDemm

So I finally got the needed items to get my HeaterMeter up and running. I followed the instructions to as noted software wise, except we run Mac's (10.9). So I just moved the openwrt-dpi image to the SD card. Upon starting it up. The menu / display shows the various settings and such. My problem is I am unable to access the rpi's wi-fi in order to set it up. The wi-fi card that i got is the Edimax # EW7811un. I even downloaded and installed the drivers for same. On the setup page it lists the default ip address is 192.168.200.1. Our network is WPA and is 192.168.1.1. Does this have anything to do with why I am unable to access the HeaterMeter ? Thanks in advance... MDemm

192.168.200.1 is one of the default IPs. If you have a Raspberry Pi model B, boot it with the ethernet plugged in. If your HeaterMeter is up and running, the LCD display will read the IP it gets once it finishes booting. Takes about 30 seconds to show up.

Hi Bryan,

Yes, I did get one of the Rpi B's. I just hooked it up with a direct connection from the router to the HeaterMeter. Upon booting. I get the same screen.
Which is: -- Pit 21º [100%] -- It does not show the IP nor do I see am I able to see a wi-fi signal from the HM ? What do you advise I do ? Thanks

I'm not exactly sure the details of what Bryan may have changed on recent release versions as far as WiFi setup goes, but the traditional method to configure the WiFi is to first connect a LAN Cable between the rPi LAN port and either a computer or router that has an IP set in the block 192.168.200.X, within a half minute or so of booting you should see the rPi IP show up on the HM LCD as 192.168.200.1, after you see that you should be able to connect to your HM on that IP through the computer (or network) that is running in the same IP block. Once the HM main page is loaded you can hit the CONFIGURE button, then hit NETWORK, then WIFI and from there you can connect to your WiFi and configure your wireless connection. There may be an easier way to do it in the most recent release but I am not sure on that, but the old school method will still work. I'm hoping in the future a freshly installed HM will be able to boot up in Access Point mode and allow a WiFi client to connect via wireless immediately, that would certainly be the easiest scenario....

Yeah except with the Edimax wifi adapter, the AP mode is so unreliable I wouldn't even advise trying it.

@MDemm The HeaterMeter should show the temperature almost immediately but, after 30 seconds it should say "Network Address" and the IP address. It goes away after a few seconds or if you press a button. If you wait a minute and don't see that, then if you have some way of checking from your router to see what devices are active on your network then do that. Wait you have a Mac right? Isn't there some sort of device browser (mDNS / Bonjour)? It should show up in that as "LinkMeter BBQ Controller on OpenWrt".

If all else fails, you'll need to set your computer's IP to a fixed address temporarily, 192.168.200.2 then you can get to http://192.168.200.1/

EDIT: Or wait, are you able to get into the webui config? You said you can see the address on the setup page? If you're in the webui already, then just go to Network -> Wifi -> Join and complete the setup.

As I mentioned earlier... I did try to get the HM to connect with our network. Verizon Fios is our ISP. In order for me to configure / access there router, I have to enter 192.168.1.1 ... If the HM needs 192.168.200.X in order to configure / access the setup menu ? What do I need to do ?

If the HM needs 192.168.200.X in order to configure / access the setup menu ? What do I need to do ?
It doesn't need 192.168.200.x, that's the fallback address. It also does DHCP at the same time on the wired interface and it will automatically get a 192.168.1.x address. I don't understand if you're having problems getting to the HeaterMeter web UI or if you're *IN* the HeaterMeter webui trying to set up either wifi or wired? I'm not sure which is the case.

If you have FIOS and you're trying to get into the webui for the first time, just log into your router and you will see this

And the HeaterMeter is listed as some variation of "new-host" (at least on my FIOS). Just use the IP you see listed there.

Thank you all for your help and advise... I removed the SD card, reformatted it and installed the openwrt img file using a utility called Applepi-Baker. Once complete I put it back in the Rpi. Booted same and after 30sec or so the display on the HeaterMeter showed 192.168.201.1. Good deal !!! For whatever reason it appears the HeaterMeter was not reading the original img file ? I plugged in the ethernet cable and am happy to announce that it is up and running... :>)

--- Can someone point me in the right direction in making the elect. connections from Cat5 to blower --- Thanks again !!!

That's good news!

Dangit, making a wiki page talking about making the fan cable was on my TODO list this weekend and it didn't get done. Long and the short of it is that you just take an ethernet or phone cord and cut one end off. The middle two wires are the blower + (red) and - (black). On an ethernet cable they're typically colored blue and blue/white.

It can be difficult to figure out which is which but just strip a bit off the end and twist them to the blower wires. If you have them backward it won't hurt anything, if you have them right (and the heatermeter is on 100%) the blower will turn on. Once you know which is which, solder then and wrap them with electrical tape or get fancy and use some heat shrink tubing.

Back