Need Ideas for Pork Butt Rub Without Paprika

Mark

TVWBB Member
We have a group that goes camping quite regularily and next weekend is our first outting. As usual I'm in charge of the que for sat night which is usually pulled pork and Britu baby backs. Last year I found out that one of our group is allergic to paprika. I'd hate to send someone to the hospital. I usually make Mr Brown rub for the butts but wonder if anyone has a suggestion for one that that doesn't have paprika in it or should I just omit the paprika in the Mr Brown recipe. Thanks in advance for your help.

I never use paprika in rubs - unless I need a bulking agent. It has little flavor to start with and what it has does not stand up to long dry cooking.

If it is paprika and not other chilies he is allergic to, try this or this. If it is chilies in general I can help you figure something else out entirely, if you'd like.

I just love the "Butt rub for Jane" rub. I never use Paprika in rubs, as I find it along the lines of sand.
icon_eek.gif

Mark, skip the paprika.To me,it imparts a bitter after taste. Started using Ancho ground pepper. Like it a heck of a lot better.

I've been subbing mild ground chilies for paprika in my rubs lately and the results have been very well received. Usually, I'll add the quantity of chili powder to the amount of paprika called for in a recipe and mix enough to replace them both. It's really a lot of fun to play with the flavors. In my latest Mr. Brown rub, I used a mix of Ancho, Cascabel, Pequin, Arbol, Chipotle, Cayenne, and Sumac (in order of quantity) to sub for the paprika and chili powder. Just get a pretty good arsenal of chili varieties and play with them till you find a mix that works with the rest of your rub ingredients.

Back