Need help with lump charcoal on the 22.5 WSM

Jim Strickland

TVWBB Fan
I did my 1st high temp bbq chicken cook on the WSM today using lump charcoal. I had a hard time keeping it above 300 deg F but the chicken came out well it just took longer than l'm used to. All vents were open fully with no water bowl or 2nd rack. I’ve never experienced this on the Weber Kettle so l'm wondering if l need to double up on the lump in the WSM vs the Weber Kettle.

You just need more oxygen for the fire. I often have trouble with high temps using the same configuration. I solved the problem by laying a skewer along the top edge of the center section and install the lid. It creates a larger chimney. I've seen others add a second top vent.

016_zps15f10e25.jpg

Last edited:
I put a couple 2" screws in the top of my door. That way when you put the door on upside down they are legs to keep it propped open at the bottom.

Thank you @Dwain Pannell and @JBooker. I did another high temp today on the WSM. This time l had no troubles but we had higher wind conditions. So what you both said makes sense as far as needing more air flow in the WSM vs the Weber kettle.

Back