Need assistance with first Campsite BUTT cook

G

I just purchased a WSM from the website link. I'm cooking for 12 adults and 7 children at a campsite this weekend. Will two 8.0 lbs butts do the trick or should I be looking more at 3.

All my experience is with an offset fire box NB cooker. I'm reading the forums to get a gauge on WSM cooking times; thus far I'm planning for a 12-14hr (Minion Method) overnight cook to reach 190ish internal temps. I'm doing pulled pork on a CWB <-- for the kids.

I'm planning on doing the meat prep work / rub at the casa then transporting it on ice for the 4hr trip. Will this keep the pork cool enough to avoid contamination or should I freeze the Butts first?

Please add your comments/tips, cooking without the aid of a kitchen will be a first for me. I'm gonna have 17 people starve to death in the woods if I mess this up.
icon_smile.gif

Take care,

Stoli

I'd plan a little longer cook time, you can always rest it in a dry warm cooler for up to 4 hours. Two 8 lb. butts will be plenty if it's only for one meal. If you're planning on using some for breakfast the next morning then maybe a third.

Take a big container for shredding the pork in, a decent sized pan.

Def do not freeze them. They take as long to thaw as your Thanksgiving Turkey! They will do just fine on ice. Also, in my experince I can easily feed 10 adults on one butt.

rub them down wrap in plastic wrap and in foil that why you are less likely to get melted water in it and you can add more ice on top.

man id be scared a bear would come down and get your grub.
icon_smile.gif

Ditto. Especially those big ones.

I'd also plan more time. Probably 16 hours for the cook plus a couple or three for the rest.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
Ditto. Especially those big ones.

I'd also plan more time. Probably 16 hours for the cook plus a couple or three for the rest.
I agree, 2 butts are more than enough. Put them in a 2 gal zip bag on ice. As mentioned DO NOT FREEZE them! Yes count on 16 hrs and when done double wrap them in heavy duty foil place in the cooler and do a 2-4 hr rest. Pull em before it gets dark and the most important part of all. Take all the scraps and bones on a very long walk away from camp. No need to invite unwanted guests to the party.
icon_wink.gif

Back