Mythbustin'..... Lookin' vs. Cookin'

Check his conclusion.

I think his main point is still that if you have look, look. If you dont, dont.

One thing that made me nervous about smoking on my WSM in the beginning was the time it used to take with the lid off to either move meat around,baste or misc. I used to go as fast as I could thinking that I was adding time to my cook.

I stopped worrying about this. It never added time that I noticed and besides..I like to look
icon_smile.gif
And if it adds a few minutes each time I open the lid, I dont mind..cause I like to look
icon_smile.gif
So i just relaxed and enjoyed the time.

it still adds time but not as much as maybe one would think. i rarely look or baste or add coals so a non issue for me. but even given that, i cook till the meat is done, not by time.

Interesting read, Matt, thanks!
I'm not one to raise the lid much anyway, because I don't baste or spritz...AND I'm not too anal about temp swings......but I DO like to "snitch" or "sample" when I think the meat is gettin' close....
My motto is: "If you ain't snitchin', you WILL BE BIT**IN'"
icon_wink.gif

I'm not a lid raiser either, as I don't mop, spritz, or baste, and with the WSM you don't need to turn or flip.

But it is relieving to know I don't have to be a nazi about it.

Before, on those rare "interventions" I would be in a big hurry, worried that I was messing up The Force or something.

I wasn't so much worried about adding time, as messing up the progression of the cook- that the quality of the end result would suffer.

i'd rather look at the finish product anyway.

ain't you got nuttin' better to do than open the smoker and look...? did ya forget what's in there???
icon_smile.gif

First off, how am I supposed to get action shots without opening the lid? If I don't get action shots, then Mr. Lampe yells at me.

Secondly, opening the lid increases the oxygen flow which will technically increase the temperature of the coals. Anybody that's ever (deliberately or accidentally) put their lid on crooked knows that. Sure, heat is escaping when you open the lid but at the same time you are also making the coals burn hotter. I'd be curious to see the same tests in the article performed on a kettle or WSM that's been set up for a high heat Minion cook so that the temperatures aren't already declining. In fact, there's no control test done that charts the declining temperature without ever opening the lid so the test is really quite flawed. I'd bet the results are a lot less significant than this test concluded.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd be curious to see the same tests in the article performed on a kettle or WSM that's been set up for a high heat Minion cook so that the temperatures aren't already declining </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jon,

Good point. I hadn't considered the impact that the traditional all-coals-burning-at-the-start method would have. Cooking Minion Method would probably flatten that slope considerably.

Thanks for posting that Matt. I left a question on the site to find out if outdoor air temps affected the "Look" time and if so, how much.

Very interesting topic.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

When bbq'ing on the WSM I seldom look, no need to.
When grilling, I look whenever I have the urge, and never worry about it.

Mike,

I would assume that outdoor temp impacts the "Look" time, but judging by this article, probably not by much. The meat retains a lot of heat, and so does a thick, well built cooker like the WSM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If I don't get action shots, then Mr. Lampe yells at me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
i never yell
icon_razz.gif

and i totally agree with Bob Correll's plan.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If I don't get action shots, then Mr. Lampe yells at me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
i totally agree with Bob Correll's plan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dee I Tee Tee O
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Sanders:
Mike,

I would assume that outdoor temp impacts the "Look" time, but judging by this article, probably not by much. The meat retains a lot of heat, and so does a thick, well built cooker like the WSM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Matt, Meathead answered my question at the bottom of the article. It seems Dr. Blonder is more concerned about wind than lower OAT.

Here's the link with reply:

http://www.amazingribs.com/tip...kin_aint_cookin.html

I'm not one to concern myself much with minor variables like this, however I would like to see the results of a test over the full duration of the cook. And the real myth is really the "extra 15 min every time you peak."

Run 2 wsms at the same temp next to each other with butts. Lift the lid on one every hour, the other remains untouched. Time how long each takes to get to say 195* and weigh each before and after to determine % mass loss.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
...the real myth is really the "extra 15 min every time you peak." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lots of Weber bullet-heads up in the Windy City so maybe the myth got started by one of the first empty pan foilers up there.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
...the real myth is really the "extra 15 min every time you peak." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lots of Weber bullet-heads up in the Windy City so maybe the myth got started by one of the first empty pan foilers up there.
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...before he found a use for some extra playground sand.
icon_wink.gif

No... seriously, the myth's validity isn't that unreasonable given adverse weather and certain variables.

For instance, taking the lid off to do WHAT? Spray relatively cool AJ on a rack of spares (as opposed to a big butt that's almost done)? Yeah, it doesn't take long, but in windy conditions it's sure not gonna help get it done by supper. As to the Minion method variable, I find that the most popular bullet fuel, Kingsford, doesn't really have time to spike in the time that it takes to just peek or spritz. Of course, if you've got wood on top of the coals that catches fire in that time, then you do get a spike.

I have not noticed it adding much more time. Yes, I am a looker! I like playing with my meat! Bad choice of words. I mean pork, beef, ribs, etc..lol.
When you check your food it also increases airflow to burn more coal! So it may burn more coal.

Back