My son had a date for homecoming, and he asked me to cook

(I posted this over at the Brethren, thought y'all might want to have a look)

He decided he wanted me to cook for his first date. Left me a note that morning telling me what he was thinking (so I wouldn't forget).

I went shopping after work and here's the menu with pics!. (I printed the menu and had it on their plates. Sierra asked if she could keep hers.)

First Course:

Caprese Salad – Vine ripened tomatoes seasoned with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper under a slice of fresh mozzarella cheese. Drizzled with a basil balsamic vinaigrette. Served with warm tomato focaccia bread and basil butter. (Looked way more better than the pic and it was really tasty)

Homecoming2013001_zps93a9877b.jpg

Second Course:

Cream of Acorn Squash soup – Slow smoked acorn squash blended with heavy cream. Seasoned with a hint of garlic and chipotle pepper. (Soup looks bland in the pics, but it RAWKED!)

Homecoming2013005_zps98ccd745.jpg

Third Course

Bacon Wrapped Tenderloin Filet – An eight ounce beef tenderloin wrapped in bacon, reverse seared over natural hardwood charcoal to a perfect medium rare. Seasoned with Oakridge BBQ Black Ops Brisket Rub. (Hers was a perfect medium and his was a perfect medium rare)

Grilled Romaine Lettuce – A generous portion of Romaine lettuce drizzled with olive oil, seasoned with Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. Perfectly grilled over natural hardwood charcoal and topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. (They both ate all of the grilled lettuce!)

Baked Potato – Russet potato slow cooked on the grill. Served hot with butter, sour cream, bacon bits, and cheddar cheese.

Homecoming2013007_zps7835d01b.jpg

Fourth Course:

Milk and Cookies – Homemade chocolate chip cookies and ice cold milk. The timelessly simple and elegant dessert.

And a shot of Joe and Sierra (Joe is on the left).

Homecoming2013004_zps44a8aa72.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
What an honor....speaks well of you as a Father and a cook. Great....great looking meal, you can't buy meals like that.

That is pretty neat. I hope some of your talents rub off on your son, that too is something to see!

I know you're ecstatic he asked you to cook. You definitely held up your end. Fine lookin young man there. He has good taste.

They both ate all of the grilled lettuce!
How can you ask for a better date?!!
Congratulations Clark.... your son's date (after this meal) ain't going anywhere!
I guarantee it!

Great story, great opportunity, and great looking meal!

I really think it is cool your son asked you to play such a huge role in his first date. It's a testament to you as a father and your relationship with him. What a blessing.

On another note, I have to admit that my favorite part of this post is the bendy straws coming out of the wine glasses!

Thanks for all of the kind words. He's a good kid and I'm so proud that he was comfortable enough to invite her to the house.[/QUOTE]

What you just posted say's it all Clark.... Your son is proud of you being his Dad & your great cooking skill's didn't hurt either .... Congrat's

Back