My first Smokey Joe and I have a question...

Yeah, I have never travelled with my SJ since I got my CGA. Actually, I use my Q120 most of the time for camping.
Curious as to why? Because of the LPG? I have a Q120 and the rolling cart but it seems like the CGA will take up less room, and most of the time we have burgers anyway. It's nice to have both, but I would like to hear your opinion of what the pros and cons are of the two.

Camping for us these days means renting a trailer somewhere. My main concern is the space requirement, and it requires two hands to transport the Q which is quite a bit heavier (I'm not sure about that one, I haven't packed up the CGA yet.)

Curious as to why? Because of the LPG? I have a Q120 and the rolling cart but it seems like the CGA will take up less room, and most of the time we have burgers anyway. It's nice to have both, but I would like to hear your opinion of what the pros and cons are of the two.

Camping for us these days means renting a trailer somewhere. My main concern is the space requirement, and it requires two hands to transport the Q which is quite a bit heavier (I'm not sure about that one, I haven't packed up the CGA yet.)
Mostly for convenience Ed. We like to day trip when we are camping and it is just faster to fire up when arriving back for supper. I also pack the CGA full of stuff so it means a complete wash down and repack before storing it. Not much to clean on the Q120. The CGA does pack up smaller for sure and is easier to carry. I always have the CGA in the trailer but only break it out on the days we spend at the camp site and I have the time to relax as I cook. And since I don’t have to carry them far to setup, the Q120 weight is irrelevant.

Mostly for convenience Ed. We like to day trip when we are camping and it is just faster to fire up when arriving back for supper. I also pack the CGA full of stuff so it means a complete wash down and repack before storing it. Not much to clean on the Q120. The CGA does pack up smaller for sure and is easier to carry. I always have the CGA in the trailer but only break it out on the days we spend at the camp site and I have the time to relax as I cook. And since I don’t have to carry them far to setup, the Q120 weight is irrelevant.
Makes perfect sense, thanks, Richard! It's nice to have both and have a choice. There are plenty of used Q's up for grabs in my area but extremely few WGAs, for whatever reason.

Same here. Unpacking and packing a full CGA is some effort, lining the bottom with foil does help. That is why I was thinking just leaving the SJ setup on a table at the new house may work. We will see.

Having a WGA packed and ready to go on standby and not using it just seems like a waste for us. I keep my grilling tools in a storage bin so that's probably what I will do, keep the CGA stuff in the storage bin with my other tools. The first time it's packed up to our liking, I'll take pictures for future reference so I can remember how to pack it when the time comes.

Unless you turn the SJ into a mini-smoker, I see a lot of overlap between the SJ and the WGA, and in my view the WGA packed up may just be the ultimate portable.
Yea, the ga is more adapt at changes. But until one can get a riser in the usa to make it reasonably priced to make it work, one is going to have to use a tamale pot to get the joe to be a smoker. One of the the pics and possibly old discussion that was lost or just old was my fix for the ash problem for the smokey joe. That was to get a 4in wide can or similar, 2 in high for the space from the lower part of the grill vent area and the bottom of the coal grate. One side open. On the closed side, one is to drill decent sized holes on the side of the can. I tried a few bigger holes but went with about 6 smaller holes. Then put that on over the lower vent. This now allows in air while not plugging up the holes. You can burn a good long time before you over run the holes. Even the air going in tends to keep the holes self cleaned. Before I got a used gold from my sister, I used a regular joe and had no issues. I'll try and find one of the cans and post a pic.

Is there anything that locates the can or retains the can in position over the vent? Or is it not necessary?
Not really except the weight of the can. But if you have that 2 inches height, the charcoal grate will basically hold it in place. Some folks use pet food dishes and such so there are options.

No, if we keep getting what we want we would then be complaining about the price. Sell 'em cheap and then we get the fun of modding them the way we want.
I see your point but disagree. There are always mods to be made, but if the base unit functions great there are better mods to come. Look at the base charcoal go-anywhere or the kettle. I really can't think of many things that are wrong with the units as they come. but look at all the ingenuous things people have done to them. If there is a design flaw from the start less people may buy them and think of mods.

I see your point but disagree. There are always mods to be made, but if the base unit functions great there are better mods to come. Look at the base charcoal go-anywhere or the kettle. I really can't think of many things that are wrong with the units as they come. but look at all the ingenuous things people have done to them. If there is a design flaw from the start less people may buy them and think of mods.
Well, at this point it is a 50 /50 deal. I prefer basic and let me do the rest. The go anywhere is just a basic design and you can see what has been done to make it fit differing needs.

Yup, looks like it done just fine. Leave it open for hit coals, put the lid on for slow or indirect cooking. Been looking for another one but last one I saw was to far and to much. My other one is dedicated as a mini smoker. Bet you get to like it better with more cooks under yer belt.

Looks Good Joe! Haven’t used mine in awhile since the kids grew up and don’t go to the beach and picnic as much. You make me want to dig it out again. Thanks.

Back