My first pulled pork

tonygodwin

Started my first Friday night at 10. WSM held like a champ all night, except for one 4 a.m. adjustment when it got to 270. By 10 am I flipped the butt and basted and inserted probe for the first time. temps showed 180 and I watched as it climbed to 183 by 11. I put on 2 racks of BBs and moved the butt to the lower grate. Watched as the butt temp dropped to 173 and stayed there for the next 3 hours! I fretted, but sought comfort here on the boards and trusted the BBQ Jedi Masters who repeatedly said this is normal (even after being on for 16 hours???). Within the next hour the temp has risen to 186 and I had had enough anticipation. Pulled it off at 17 hours, wrapped and let it rest. An hour later I pulled it at the tabe as my wife and guests just ate the bark right off the top and raved. I had to run them off so I could get it pulled, mixed and sauced.

In the end it was a huge hit. I hear the BBs were good, but I wouldn't know. I had to get my satisfaction with the pulled pork after a 17 hr first effort. Thanks to all the BBQ Jedi Masters here that helped calm my nerves and settle my fears. I left it alone and it came through to deliver with much praise and accolades.

Our message today at church was about patience.
The Pastor never mentioned waiting for the Pulled Pork to get done though.
This I can relate to.

Congratulations on your cook,

Dave

Sounds like it all went as expected.

I only seem to find deboned stuff here. So it never takes as long. Even pilling it back up into a large mass, as if it weren't deboned, it only seems to take about 8 hours or so.

How did you sauce yours?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Touché! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

X2

Congrats! I have the same problem when I pull the buts or a brisket out from resting, everybody gathers around and starts picking at the bark and the meat. I need to purchase a cattle prod to keep them at bay. Thanks for sharing and try to post pics as folks round here love to see what the group is cooking. Again, nice job.

Tony you're going to have to expect the "vultures" to start circling when you unfoil your meat. What they dont understand is that I truely am getting mad when I tell them to back the F off. I am the only one who gets to sample
icon_wink.gif
I know its kind of mean, but its one of my pet peeves.

Brandon

Tell them they can help you clean up after they eat and that will usually scare them away until dinner is ready!
icon_eek.gif

Back