My 2nd BBQ: 3 racks of baby backs and ABTs!!!

ELittle

I'm doing my second cook today with my new WSM. Ive got 3 racks of baby backs on as well as a dozen ABTs. So far the WSM is holding steady at 230 degrees and is working flawlessly. I love this thing compared to my bradley electric. Clean up is so much easier and controlling the temp is 10 times easier. I'll post pictures later.

DSCN1945.jpg

The ABTs are made with jalapenos I grew, I picked them 1 hour before they went onto the smoker. Doesn't get any fresher than that!

Nice job ELittle. What procedure did you use? What kind of rub did you use? ect. Welcome to a great web site,with a lot of info,and great people.
Chuck...

I am such a rookie at this, and maybe others can chime in. It's great to see photos of your setup so that we can ask or comment. I've read that the hottest part of the WSM is at the edges of the barrell. Would it make sense to place the thickest part of the ribs facing the edges rather than the center? Maybe put them on either side with the bacon wraps in the middle for a more even cook?

The ribs were delicious, I just had some more a while ago. I have a book I like, called "Smoke & Spice" that has a bunch of ideas for rubs and sauces, it's where I look to for inspiration sometimes.

I soaked the ribs overnight in a marinade of apple cider, cider vinegar, onion, fresh thyme and some Worcestershire sauce. Then before I put them onto the smoker I coated them in a rub made mostly of brown sugar, dry mustard, salt, pepper, chili powder, a little cinnamon, and some cayenne pepper. Whenever I can I try to grind my own spices and make my own BBQ sauces.

The method I use for the ribs is the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours on the smoke, then into foil pans covered tightly in foil with a little bit of apple cider for 2 hours, followed by 30 minutes or so on the grill to finish them off, basting the ribs with my sauce about 3 or 4 times so it gets nice and caramelized. I try not to leave them on for longer than 30 minutes when they are baby back because they tend to dry out quick that way.

I used to make foil pouches for the ribs but they always ripped and were a pain to deal with so I switched to using foil trays instead. This method of doing the ribs hasn't let me down yet.

And as far as making more ABTs, I ate my fill! The jalapenos I grew are planted next to half a dozen ghost pepper plants and the jalapenos were the hottest I've ever had! It was a great dinner!

DSCN1949.jpg

DSCN1946.jpg

A couple of the half racks got really crispy on the bottom grate which was actually awesome, I'm a big fan of burnt ends and burnt crispy rib ends.
icon_biggrin.gif

Those ribs look great!I just smoked some baby backs last friday-my second cook also on the wsm.I didn't go the 3-2-1- method you did,but i got rave reviews and told folks the truth-i did nothing different this time other than cooked them on the wsm instead of the offset pit i had used for years.I'm off tomorrow and there will be more baby backs going on the wsm.......yum!

Back