My 2014 Smoke Day Resolution: Don't Trust Your (Tardy) Guests

Monty House

TVWBB Pro
I was raised in a family where if you said dinner was 6pm, that didn't mean Happy Hour; it meant food ON the table.

Now, I realize societal norms may have relaxed over the past few decades since I was a kid, but, as we all know, BBQ is "ready when it's ready." In the past, I've made the error of asking people to show about the time the meat will be pulled--either from the smoker/grill or the faux cambro. No longer. I'm asking them at least one hour earlier than when the meat will be ready. Smoked meat is much better immediately after it's been cut. I had half of my guests show up late yesterday while I impatiently stared at the platter of cooling, drying meat.

(Well, at least I didn't resolve to have no friends......) ;)

I know how you feel. I make my guest wait and then they are so hungry that what ever I make they think it's the best thing ever....lol

You're smart, Tony. Though I've seen how well you & your wife cook, so my guess is people naturally show up early to make sure it's not all gone!

There is regular time and then there is Mexican time. Most of our friends and family are Mexican so they are on Mexican time. I used to get so ticked off when people would so up 2 hours late. Now I just tell everybody to show up 2 hours before hand. Life is too short to please everyone, if the food is cold or overcooked because they were late, show up on time next time.

Been there done that. I no longer stare at the cooling drying BBQ. I eat. Like John said if your on time you eat great BBQ. If you're not you get what's left, as is.

Last edited:
I was raised in a family where if you said dinner was 6pm, that didn't mean Happy Hour; it meant food ON the table.

Now, I realize societal norms may have relaxed over the past few decades since I was a kid, but, as we all know, BBQ is "ready when it's ready." In the past, I've made the error of asking people to show about the time the meat will be pulled--either from the smoker/grill or the faux cambro. No longer. I'm asking them at least one hour earlier than when the meat will be ready. Smoked meat is much better immediately after it's been cut. I had half of my guests show up late yesterday while I impatiently stared at the platter of cooling, drying meat.

(Well, at least I didn't resolve to have no friends......) ;)

brother , I am with you 100% ! At our house as kids you dared not be tardy or you might miss dinner all together! And if my dad cooked out , and company was coming , food was served ON TIME ! Of course I feel like that's the right way to go , but my wife prevails on me to give slack....which I do , grudgingly. But you're smart to fib about eating times ....I might borrow that idea.

Coming from someone who WAS married to a girl who was ALWAYS late (we had to tell her the wedding was an hour earlier than what it was so she was ready on time), I am used to fudging times anyways. So I tell people dinner is earlier than what it is. If I invite people for dinner, I think its rude if they just show up right at dinner time, then eat and leave shortly after. Having guests over is as much about the fellowship as it is about the food IMHO

I know how you feel. I make my guest wait and then they are so hungry that what ever I make they think it's the best thing ever....lol

+1 to this! Make people wait a while, I figure if they're going to be late, you might as well return the favor. Plus, being a perfectionist, I'd much rather have people wait to eat hot n juicy BBQ, rather than have cold dry meat ready when they arrive. Oddly, they don't seem to mind too much either!

Back