Mullet ??

tmfast

TVWBB Super Fan
Has anyone soked mullet on the WSM? Can I just put em on the grill, or should I place some foil under them?

Just pulled em off. Stuck to the grill.I smoked em with just a few hickory chunks, but turned out some what over smoked. Chock it up to learning! Next time I will foil them, and cut back on the smoke.

We eat a lot of mullte up here in the Fla panhandle and think we have some of the best around. When absolutely fresh, I think they're terrific. I understand in other areas that's not the case.

I have smoked some years and years ago, but not on a WSM and probably not with a great deal of success. If you perfect the process, let us know.

Paul

I love hot smoked mullet. (The ones we have here in Australia are bullet shaped and are vey oily) I have a hot smoker made out of a steel tool box which has a rack inside to put the fish on. I coat the fish with a salt and brown sugar rub put a handfull of sawdust in the bottom, place the fillets skin side down on the rack and close the lid (which is reasonably well fitting). I then place it over my portable stove burner on high for 12 minutes and Voila! the best tasting smoked fish you can get. I also use other types of fish especially trout. We use the smoked flesh to make dips etc or just cut into pieces and serve with savory biscuts (you call them crackers) and a crisp Chardonay. Great nibbles on a Sunday afternoon when we are just sitting around on the Patio with friends with a few bottles of wine.

Regards

I have fried and blackened mullet but never smoked it. I have eaten a ton of smoked mullet from different places but never thought to try smoking it myself.

Hmmmmm,

tt

I smoke a fair amount of mullet, but usually during the fall run when the fish are "in roe". Seems to me that the taste is better then (I think the fat content of the meat is higher in the fall), definitely better if yer gonna meal them and deep fry.
I split them (cut off head, make one cut from tail to where head was, leaving skin hinge along back, scales on), season them with either a rub or Tony Cacheres, then smoke them over charcoal with oak for flavor. The scales keep them from sticking too bad.
While no doubt you can use the WSM, I usually use a barrel type smoker to do this, mostly due to increased capacity. Temps are around 200-225* for about 3 hours (depends on the size of the fish).
Keep a close eye on them, they can dry out rather quickly.
Here's some pics from last fall...

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p84/CORNBREADMAFIA_2006/IMG_0007.jpg
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p84/CORNBREADMAFIA_2006/IMG_0008.jpg

Note from Moderator: Changed large inline photos to links. See "Posting Photos" on homepage for guidelines.

I always looked at mullet as bait but hey! That don't look bad Mort.
icon_cool.gif

wsmsmile8gm.gif

That is the way we cut them too Mort, but we put in a salt brine overnight and then a little Tony C. seasoning. Smoke them until the moisture is gone and start sampling. Nice pics btw.

Back