Modifiying "Competition Ribs" recipe for spares

Bill W.

TVWBB Member
I'm doing up some spares this weekend and I want to give the BRITU recipe a break. I'm looking at this recipe http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2880069052/m/3860093152 . The recipe calls for loin backs and it cooks 3.5 w/o foil and then finishes 1.5 in foil. What kind of cooking time should I look for to do spares? I was thinking 5 w/o foil and then 1.5 in foil? Any advice?

Also, he mentions not to go over 230. Why is that? I regularly smoke my ribs in the 250/270 range.

Foiling accelerates the cooking. Maintaining a higher temp will accelerate it even more, and you'll end up with "fell off the bone" ribs. Notice, in many discussions of foiling ribs, that it's often mentioned that, when going by the 3-2-1 method, that 2 hours in foil is way too long. Yet, using Stogie's method, 2.5 hours works fine-- when you cook strictly at 225°. If you choose to cook at a higher temp, the times, both in and out of foil, will need to be reduced.

In the absence of specific language otherwise, I always assume the temperatures specified to be those measured where the food itself is located. My experiences-- and successes-- with Stogie's method bear out that, in the case of the WSM, it means at the grate.

Back