Meat Temp Stuck at 160 for Over An Hour

Grim

TVWBB Member
I have a pork butt that has been stuck at 160 for at least an hour and I can't figure out why it's not moving up. The WSM has been at a consistent temp of 225 all day. Any ideas why the internal temp of the meat is stuck? I know I can get the temp up if I increase the pit temp, but I would rather keep it at 225.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.

That's called a plateau, my man. It will likely be there for hours - 4-6, in fact, at 225. It's all normal and good.

The theory is, meat chugs along from 35-ish degrees on up to about 160 cooking. Once it hits about that temp (anywhere from 155-170) it sticks at that temp for hours while all the fat, collagen and connective tissue breaks down. Once that happens, the temp will again start to charge along on up to 190-195. Its that breaking down of tough fibers that makes bbq so good.

So, don't fret.

Now... if you've got guests coming shortly, then bump the temps up to 275-300 and wrap the butt in foil. It will break through the plateau rather quickly.

FWIW, a 7-pound butt often takes me 15-18 hours...

Grim,

This is a normal thing. Its the plateau where the collagen starts to break down in the meat. It will stay there for some time and then start to go up. Just keep your pit temp where its at and you should be fine. As long as your thermometer is working your gonna be fine.

Josh

You've probably hit the plateau. Just give it some time and you'll be OK. If you're pressed for time, I've raised my smoker temp some to get it past the plateau without any ill effects, but if you have the time, just ride it out. Also, test your thermometer to make sure it's working correctly.

Now this is odd... I posted had the first reply and then came back and was second.. must be when you start your reply not when you post it..... danggit Adam... I wanted to be special.

Josh

Josh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Josh Z.:
danggit Adam... I wanted to be special.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE> What can I say? I'm just quick to the draw!
icon_smile.gif

Grim - how are things going?

Thanks for the feedback. The temp is at about 165 now and everything looks good. I don't have any time restrictions, so I'm just going to wait it out.

Just so you know: The same thing happens with other large cuts that have internal marbling. You'll likely see it happen again when you do a brisket.

Enjoy your cook and your meal.

Back