Meat temp for smoke ring

Roman

Would you get a better smoke ring if you put the meat on the cooker when it's cold or when it's at room temp? It occured to me that the as you place it immediately from the frig, the outer edges would allow for it to absorb longer. If at room temp, the there would be a quicker casing and less of a smoke ring.

smoke ring forms between 40 degrees and 140. The longer you can keep in in that range the better the ring

Useful information to have, thanks!

Now as I understand it from other posters, one doesn't necessarily want to milk/prolong this temp range to get a deeper smoke ring as it is unsafe for meat to be less than 140-ish for more than 2 hours, right?

Rich

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rich H (Va):
Useful information to have, thanks!

Now as I understand it from other posters, one doesn't necessarily want to milk/prolong this temp range to get a deeper smoke ring as it is unsafe for meat to be less than 140-ish for more than 2 hours, right?

Rich </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wrong. As long as you bring the finished product up to a safe temperature that's all that counts. Check out this thread. When cooking low and slow it can take much longer to get your meat up to 140 than a few hours

As far as the smokering goes here is a good explanation of that. It is full of fancy words like oxymyoglobin.

I did two 8 pound(ish) butts right out of the fridge last weekend on a freshly lit WSM and they hit 160 within a few hours...k Kruger is 110% right, no need to bring them up to room temp and no need to let the cooker run for an hour before adding your meat. In fact the best smoke production out of the cooker comes in the first two hours anyway, so I would think you'd want your meat bathing in in for as long as you can.

Straight out of the fridge and into the wsm for me all the time, i like to catch my temps on the way up so much easier.

I'm with Noe on this. Just remember, Its not about the smoke ring. Its about the taste and tendernous of the product.

Tim, I totally agree with you but when you are presented with food you sort of "eat it with your eyes" first.If it looks good (which to me the smoke ring helps)it starts you thinking hey this might taste good. Think about presentation at a restaurant. If it was just about taste they would probably just pile it on your plate and say" hear ya go"
icon_smile.gif

Back