Meat for Sale out of Truck

Our secretary bought some meat from dude in a white truck that looked like it actually had a freezer or something. Poor girl spent like 60 bucks on rib eye steaks and hamburgers. The rib eyes said "Del Monico" or something like that and were only like 1/4 - 1/2" thick. They just did not look good at all.

We've had this happen several times. The guy says that he delivers to "all the grocery stores in the area" and a couple of them cancelled their orders, and he needs to get rid of his stock badly today, before it goes bad!

Folks, this is at best extremely inferior meat, at worst garbage.

I chase them off, my opinion being that if I can't afford to buy a decent cut from a reputable source, we're eating (sacrilege) vegitarian that night.

I haven't seen anyone selling meat out of a truck, but I wanted to mention about shrimp. I spent a lot of time in New Orleans and the surrounding areas. Shrimp out of an ice chest on the back of a truck in the parking lot were the best shrimp around. These were right off the shrimp boat, and were fantastic. Of course this doesn't apply in the rest of the world..

Out here in Brunswick/St. Simons Island (SE Georgia), we get our shrimp right off of the shrimp boat docks packed in ice at the price of two dollars a pound with the head intact. Four bucks a pound without head.

We had one of those guys come to the door one time and had the hell scared out of him by my dogs. He said, trembling, of course, "Do you people like steak?" My wife, always known for being quick on the reply, to him "No, we're vegetarians."

As he was walking away, I wondered if he was thinking about the dogs ready to sail on his backside or "Those are the two fattest vegetarians I've ever seen..."

Back