Malta Marinade

Scott Piccolo

TVWBB Member
I was watching a re-run of "Top Chef" and they were cooking in Puerto Rico and one of the chef's did something really cool. He was cooking pork ribs (braised, not smoked
icon_frown.gif
) and he marinaded the ribs in Malta before cooking. Malta is a very sweet syrupy cola drink common in Latin and Caribbean countries. Has anyone here ever tried something like this? I am dying to give it a try and would like to hear if anyone has done it or something similar. If so, any pointers on how long to marinade and what spices might be a good compliment for the rub?

I saw it. If it is like coke I would say 3 hours to start with. Play around with it I have tried orange juice and jim beam before on turkey and butts.

How do you like the caja china?

yeah, i saw that too. anyone have a complete recipe? I thought he mixed the Malta with some other ingrediants??

Larry B

Gary, Malta is like a soft drink only very syrupy (is that a word?). As the name implies, it is very malty tasting. I have tried it and don't like it as a drink, but thought it might add an interesting flavor to the pork. Down here Cuban moms mix it with condensed milk and give it to children to fatten them up
icon_rolleyes.gif

Dsitterson, I love the Caja China. We use it to cook whole pigs every Christmas eve. We also use it to roast chickens for large parties. Very good! Whether pig or chicken, we use a traditional Mojo made from sour oranges, crushed garlic, oregano, salt and a little cumin. Marinade overnight and into the box the next day. I can cook a 70 lb pig in around 6 hours and it will be so tender we shread the whole thing by hand.

Back