Maidenrun on WSK: shortribs.

ReynaldLee

Hi all,

Todays weatherforecast was dry, so a perfect time to fire up my WSK for the first time. On todays menu: shortribs. 2 slabs, so one with coffee-rub, and one “more regular” rub, nice to have some comparison :)

The ribs before the trim:
IMG_0640.jpeg

Ribs after the trim (with still some fat on it, we like a little bit of fat on our meat ☺️)
IMG_0641.jpeg

And with the rub:
IMG_0642.jpeg

As can be seen, one slab was WAY thicker than the other, but oh well, we’ll figure that out when the time comes…

In the mean time filled up the WSK, with a temperature of 130-140C, or around 260-280F). I immediately notice how stable the WSK is temperature-wise. Once i reached the desired temp, it stayed on it, no problem!

IMG_0645.jpeg

After about 2-2.5hrs (surprisingly fast if you’d ask me…) both slabs reach coretemp of around 70C (160F), so time to wrap them in foil with a little bit of applejuice.

About 1hr later “the thin one” reached coretemp op 95C (205F), so time to get it out of the BBQ, and then the biggest challenge starts (and i already know im gonna fail 😅): exercising patience and letting it rest (in the oven at 70C / 160F)

after about an hour, gonna taste JUUUUUST one little piece 🤪
IMG_0650.jpeg

IMG_0651.jpeg

IMG_0652.jpeg

And then more waiting till “the big one” reaches desired temp, which was about 1,5hrs later

And this one goes into the oven as well to rest.

After about 2hrs, its dinnertime and time to dig in!

IMG_0653.jpeg

Yumyumyum 🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤

Not only was i really happy with the result of the food, i was really happy with my WSK! SUPERstable when it come to temperature! With my MT57cm i had to constantly “play” with airflow (probably mostly because im just not good enough 🫣🫣), but here, just let it come up to the desired temperature, close the topvent just a little bit, and thats it! It kept stable my entire run! Even when i had to remove the grill and deflector to afd more coals, it got back to stable temperature in no time.

All things considered, im a happy camper ☺️

Back