Maiden BBQ on Virgin one touch kettle help?

CJohnstone

TVWBB Member
Alrighty guys,

The time as come to blast some BBQ!

I'm cooking 12 chicken thighs/drumsticks and was after some tips for charcoal amount / placement and also how long I should expect to cook them for.

I was thinking 3/4 Webber kettle and distributing evenly at both sides. Indirect in the middle with a drip pan under for 25-30 mins smoking with pecan wood. Then direct for the last 5mins.

Any thoughts/hints/tips very welcome!

I've always used a full Weber charcoal chimney when cooking indirect. Bank on both sides and shoot for 350 cook temp. Personally I've always removed the skin and use barbecue sauce added threw-out the cook. Pecan is starting to be my go-to wood chips for chicken. Last time I soaked them in water and Jim Beam cinnamon. Not sure if the cinnamon added to the taste, but it tasted good.
My cook time for leg quarters is anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half. Take it's temp and cook till it's done.
ry%3D480

Well the chicken turned out a treat!!

2 chicken legs, 4 chicken thighs and 8 chicken legs.

Rub: salt,pepper,paprika,onion,garlic and sage.

Setup: 3/4 chimney distributed evenly both side with empty tray in the middle. Pecan wood chunks placed both sides. Not gonna lie! I was panicking when the temp initially nearly 500F and was still climbing! Closed off both top and bottom vents almost all the way and when the temp hit 350F opened them up slightly.

Cooked for around 50 mins and probed. Temp was at 170F so juiced with BBQ sauce and gave 10 more mins.

Results: chicken tender and moist easily coming away from bone with quite a strong smokey flavour. Skin was also very crispy!

Served with grilled corn, slaw and crispy sliced oven roasted potatoes.

Sorry for no pics. I was to busy stressing over using it for
The first time hahaha.

BBQ is awesome!

CJohnstone;
Congratulations on your first cook! When you do your own and get the results you have had, there is a downside. You become VERY critical of commercial restaurant chicken!!

If you want a bit of heat in your chicken, try Weber's "Kickin' Chicken". We love it here and it ranks close to our Jerk Chicken for flavor (or if you prefer, Orange Marmalade Sriracha Sauce). For small children and those that don't care for heat, I do simple salt and pepper, then sauce at the end with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce.

Something for everyone!

Now, that you have a taste of success, we are going to want to see LOTS of pictures. Don't let us down!;)

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Sounds good, but BBQ should never stress you out, its all about relaxation.........

Back