lump charcoal users

Todd

I was wanting to get some WSM owners that use lump to give some examples of how much lump they use for cooks.

I was looking for so many 'pounds' for so many 'hours' type of info.

Just trying to get an idea of how much lump one would use.

Thanks

I use Royal Oak more often than not, I always just fill the ring and cook, when I'm done I just shut the vents and let it shut down. When cool I just shake off the ash refill and go again
icon_cool.gif

Bill is right on.

Lump or briquettes, fill the ring. Fill the ring until you get use to your WSM. On a rib cook, I will not fill the ring, but I will put in enough that I'm certain that I have more than I need. The ring will be pretty full. For an overnight cook (butt), I fill the ring as full as possible.

You don't want to be under estimating the charcoal and having to reload (at least I don't).

I usually fill my ring also with lump. I then put a glove on and rough rub the top of the charcoal pile. This will help settle the odd shaped pieces of lump and fill in the air spaces. Then I add a little more lump. I usually empty the ash after about the 3rd or 4th cook, depending how long the cooks were.

How many pounds of lump does it take to fill the ring on the WSM and how long would it last on average.

Thanks for the help

I would guess my heaping rings hold around 12 pounds as an average. It kind of depends on the density of the lump though.

If conditions are normal, a very full ring of Picnic lump will burn at 240 lid for 24 hours straight, and still leave about 1/4 to 1/3 leftover for the next cook.

When I used Royal Oak lump, the ring held basically the whole 10 lb bag. I never got RO Lump to burn much more than 12 hours before needing to refuel. Others have had better success though (it's good stuff).

I also fill the ring and let it burn until I am done cooking and shut the vents and reload to go next time.. As far as burn time, the snow has finally melted away here this week, and temps are beginning to climb(first time since I got my WSM that there is no snow) so I am looking forward to being able to cook with the vents partially closed because of the outdoor temps being higher. I could get about 8-10 hrs using a full ring of Royal Oak.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Todd:
How many pounds of lump does it take to fill the ring on the WSM and how long would it last on average.

Thanks for the help </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With a new bag, you'll have enough to fill the ring more than two times. If you pack the ring like Tony indicated and weather is still (or you have a wind break), a full ring will last more than 12 hours - I've gotten 16 hours out of a full ring but the fire was dying out by then.

No offense, but your question is one that requires a specific answer (pounds of charcoal per hour). It's just not that scientific. Results vary considerably depending on brand of charcoal, method of cooking (water or dry), amount of meat, weather (mostly wind). You'll just have to start cooking and you'll get a feel for what you'll get from your charcoal. Enjoy the experiment - you get to eat the results.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I understand that things will vary and sometimes by quite a bit but I am just looking at averages.

Thanks for the info.

Back