Luau

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
My daughter is turning eight, so we let her pick the menu for her family party. She's a big fan of pulled pork, but can do without the spice, so we figured she'd dig kalua pork. We were recently at Chelsea Market in NYC and she got to pick out Hawaiian red and black salt.

I didn't take any pics during the cook because I was still recovering from 24 hrs of the flu. I sort of followed a Raichlen recipe.

1) rub overnight with red and black salt and pepper
2) smoked 3 hours over pecan shells
3) wrapped in banana leaves with sliced onion, ginger and garlic and smoked for another 45 min
4) wrapped in foil and cooked to tender

it took me about 7 hrs total as my wsm was hovering between 275 and 300.

here's the pork with Raichlen's pineapple bbq sauce
IMG_8491.JPG

we served the pork with pineapple fried rice, which I did in a big roaster in the oven and came out awesome
IMG_8500.JPG

We started everyone off with some pupus, including Raichlen's Huli Huli ribs. I think I've seen treads for them already started if you need more info. I slightly modded the recipe by: using fresh garlic, ginger, and chive in the rub along with red salt, the foil stage included the glaze, and I finished them in the oven prior to service.
IMG_8475.JPG

additional pupus:

bacon wrapped pineapple
IMG_8477.JPG

tuna and salmon poke
IMG_8458.JPG

Maui onion dip
IMG_8470.JPG

I hear Tiki Hut restaurants are having a comeback. Perhaps it's time to open that restaurant and bar. Food looks fab Jeff.

You really put a great meal together for your daughter. Nice job and i'm sure she loved it. BTW, that pok'e looks incredible!

Aloha brah,it looks good... This fat kanaka boy, living in the Pacific Northwest sez you did a great job! For real... neva mind the other "Hawaiian" guys, you rock.
I roast whole hogs (have 4 lined up this sunmmer so far); either Hawaiian style in the imu or Filipino style on a rotisserie. Any time you need some pointers on luaus, drop me a line.

joe

Good God!! There only so much a man can take! Next time I expect an invite! Enjoy your daughter at 8 years old, much older and they go off the reservation.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Raichlen's Huli Huli ribs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Care to share the recipe? Looks a bit like char siu ribs. Can't be bad...

Thanks for the kind words. I should mention that my wife planned most of this (as she does most of my posts) and she usually ends up doing the more than her share of the work while I find excuses to "check the smoker" or "start the grill." As it turned out I was dealing with a stomach virus on thursday and friday and battling dehydration on saturday, so she deserves most of the credit.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Aloha brah,it looks good... This fat kanaka boy, living in the Pacific Northwest sez you did a great job! For real... neva mind the other "Hawaiian" guys, you rock.
I roast whole hogs (have 4 lined up this sunmmer so far); either Hawaiian style in the imu or Filipino style on a rotisserie. Any time you need some pointers on luaus, drop me a line. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Joe! I was trying to figure out if we hit the mark or not.

My SIL and BIL went to Hawaii on their honeymoon 8 yrs ago, and since I never had kalua pig, I asked them if ours was anything like it. They laughed and wondered how anybody could remember something the ate that long ago. Well, I remember a few things I ate on my honeymoon 13 years ago. I guess some people like food more than others.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Care to share the recipe? Looks a bit like char siu ribs. Can't be bad... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll work on that.

I thought I saw it around here, but it turns out that huli huli is usually chicken.

This meal came together pretty easily for my wife and I only had to give the final ok on the recipes, I wasn't in on most of the initial research. I just looked it up now and asked her about it and why we didn't make huli huli wings. She said "yeah, it's normally chicken but I wanted the ribs."

Great looking meal!
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">pineapple fried rice, which I did in a big roaster in the oven and came out awesome </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Curious about that... details?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Curious about that... details? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Made rice in rice cooker and allowed it to cool

in pan, browned lap cheong (and bacon since I was short), added ginger, garlic, added carrots, red and yellow pepper and green onion.

rice, pan contents and pineapple was mixed in the roaster. As I mixed and broke up the rice clumps with my hands, we dressed it with veg oil, fish sauce, and soy sauce.

I broiled the roaster in the oven, tossing it frequently, toasting the rice a little and warming it all through.

I've never had much luck making fried rice in a wok (especially in this quantity). The roaster worked well because I didn't have to worry about it sticking, and the rice browned great.

Back