Low and Slow in the rain -- suggestions?

Gil Matar

TVWBB Fan
I'm doing 45 pounds of brisket on my WSM 22.5, low and slow, starting at 11:00 PM or so on Saturday night. People are coming over at 3:00 PM on Sunday.

It looks like there will be rain, on and off, throughout the smoke. It's hot and humid here in Chicago.

Any suggestions about using the WSM in the rain?

Thanks,

Gil -
The biggest problem I've had in the rain is getting the coals started. Once everything is going, not so much. Keeping the wind off it will keep the temps steadier.
If you don't mind, could you start the cook a day earlier? We could use the rain! I've had times when it's like washing the car - when I want to grill/smoke, I could count on rain.
Good luck. Peter

Jim -- Can't put up any canopy. This is on my patio. I might be able to put up a big umbrella.

Pete -- Can't start earlier. We're kosher, and the party is for a bunch of my synagogue friends. I can't start the fire until after sunset on Saturday night. But I could do a rain dance for you?
icon_smile.gif

Thanks,

G

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gil Matar:
Can't start earlier. We're kosher </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just curious as to how much 45 lbs of kosher brisket cost. Mazel Tov.
icon_smile.gif

Gil

I've cooked all my overnighters in pouring rain (special jinx). Just put up the umbrella and everything went fine once the coals were lit. Good luck!

Shabbat shalom.

Gil -
An umbrella to start (and check/hang out) will be all you need.
Don't bother with the rain dance - it's already pushed through, with more following. It's done wonders to the temps outside.
Peter

Peter,
Thanks for the reply.

W/r to the rain dance, my neighbors already think that I'm crazy, so I might still go for it.
icon_smile.gif

Back